Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
10-09-2016, 09:00 AM - 1 Like   #1
Forum Member

Fall Cityscape Toronto
Lens: DA 16-45mm Camera: +istDS2 Photo Location: Toronto ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/200s Aperture: F14 

New poster trying to improve my photography and would gladly welcome your C&C.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX *ist DS2  Photo 
10-09-2016, 09:46 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome fellow Canadian. The first thing this photo does for me is convince that your older model DSLR is still fully adequate to explore and learn much about the art. Well done here, keep at it.
10-09-2016, 11:59 AM   #3
Forum Member

Another Canuck here.

Nice shot. It has an almost "Classic Chrome" look. I love sailboats.
10-09-2016, 01:02 PM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lakeshore Quote
Another Canuck here.

Nice shot. It has an almost "Classic Chrome" look. I love sailboats.
Thanks what is classic chrome? Where about are you in Canada?

10-09-2016, 03:44 PM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I did not knew that Toronto Islands are already changing leaves... Nice image with very specific rendering. Like it!
10-10-2016, 03:57 AM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Good shot, not much to improve except colour. Don't know if your monitor will show it but there is a bit of a yellow cast. I think the image looks better without it. Have a look at the corrected last one and see if you can detect the difference.

Cheers

Last edited by Schraubstock; 11-15-2016 at 03:11 AM.
10-10-2016, 08:37 AM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote
Good shot, not much to improve except colour. Don't know if your monitor will show it but there is a bit of a yellow cast. I think the image looks better without it. Have a look at the corrected last one and see if you can detect the difference.

Cheers
Love it what did you do to remove the colour cast?

10-10-2016, 11:14 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by adsouza Quote
Love it what did you do to remove the colour cast?
Thanks, glad you like it.
I am never sure whether to correct casts as a lot of folk present photographs with casts and some say they like it that way.

Your choice of software to correct colour casts once the image is converted to an 8 bit JPG (particularly low res) as well as the quality of the correction is somewhat limited. Some do it better than others, however if you need or even want to do it it is always best to work on a RAW or TIFF format.

I correct my RAW images if they need it, (in other words if I was in the wrong white balance setting or the camera auto white balance failed) immediately at the RAW converter level. I have not seen any RAW converters that cannot do this.

Here you click on the colour picker (represented as a pipette symbol) move it over an area in the image which is as neutrally grey as possible and click again. If you have been able find the right neutral colour the cast will be removed. Sometime you have to hunt for the right spot in the image. If you can't find a suitable spot to pick you need to do it manually. (See next paragraph)

You won't be able to use a RAW converter for cast corrections if the image is already converted and then you have to do it manually. Some software will still provide a colour picker for converted images and if not they have a colour wheel or similar as to the screen grab below. However my favorite PP software which always provides a colour picker pipette no matter what image format I am in (JPG or TIFF) is OLONEO PhotoEngine. The colour picker here is particularly good as it will allow you to pick a neutral ares as small as a single pixel. In fact this is what I used to correct your image, it has plenty of neutral spots to choose from.

Another good correction software is ColorWasher for manual correction but it can also be set up to automate colour casts very well. (And it has a pipette)

Hope you can make sense of all this
Cheers

Last edited by Schraubstock; 11-15-2016 at 03:11 AM.
10-11-2016, 05:29 AM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote
Thanks, glad you like it.
I am never sure whether to correct casts as a lot of folk present photographs with casts and some say they like it that way.

Your choice of software to correct colour casts once the image is converted to an 8 bit JPG (particularly low res) as well as the quality of the correction is somewhat limited. Some do it better than others, however if you need or even want to do it it is always best to work on a RAW or TIFF format.

I correct my RAW images if they need it, (in other words if I was in the wrong white balance setting or the camera auto white balance failed) immediately at the RAW converter level. I have not seen any RAW converters that cannot do this.

Here you click on the colour picker (represented as a pipette symbol) move it over an area in the image which is as neutrally grey as possible and click again. If you have been able find the right neutral colour the cast will be removed. Sometime you have to hunt for the right spot in the image. If you can't find a suitable spot to pick you need to do it manually. (See next paragraph)

You won't be able to use a RAW converter for cast corrections if the image is already converted and then you have to do it manually. Some software will still provide a colour picker for converted images and if not they have a colour wheel or similar as to the screen grab below. However my favorite PP software which always provides a colour picker pipette no matter what image format I am in (JPG or TIFF) is OLONEO PhotoEngine. The colour picker here is particularly good as it will allow you to pick a neutral ares as small as a single pixel. In fact this is what I used to correct your image, it has plenty of neutral spots to choose from.

Another good correction software is ColorWasher for manual correction but it can also be set up to automate colour casts very well. (And it has a pipette)

Hope you can make sense of all this
Cheers
Thanks I do have the RAW image and will revisit it!
10-11-2016, 08:57 AM - 1 Like   #10
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by adsouza Quote
Thanks what is classic chrome? Where about are you in Canada?
Classic Chrome is a film simulation setting available on some Fujifilm cameras. It's supposed to replicate the look of old Kodachrome film. I'm in Southern Ontario.
10-11-2016, 04:49 PM   #11
mee
Veteran Member

I was going to say the white balance was off, but it was already mentioned. That said, it is a lot easier than loading up photoshop and hunting around for a nice color and instead to just adjust the white balance in Lightroom since I see you are using Lightroom 5. One slider. In this case a little to the left.
10-12-2016, 05:43 AM   #12
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks but sadly my istDS2 is no longer seems if you don't use it often the internal battery dies!
10-17-2016, 06:05 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Don't give up just yet I'm pretty sure if you took it to a camera repair center they should be able to replace the internal battery for you.
GO BLUE JAYS!!!!
10-17-2016, 12:01 PM   #14
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by NS_Sailor Quote
Don't give up just yet I'm pretty sure if you took it to a camera repair center they should be able to replace the internal battery for you.
GO BLUE JAYS!!!!
I did take it in to the Pentax authorized service centre and they said that it was not worth fixing and returned it back to me. Same thing on my Pentax K 01, but now I give my K3 a work out every week.Thanks for your concern and advice as well as your cheer!
10-23-2016, 09:22 AM   #15

Haven't had the pleasure of visiting cross the border!! This is a great shot!!