Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
10-12-2016, 07:04 AM - 2 Likes   #1
Forum Member

Looking at Fall
Lens: 16-45mm F4 Camera: *istDS2 Photo Location: Toronto ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/125s Aperture: F6.7 

Developing my photography so I am trying to improve and would gladly welcome your C&C.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX *ist DS2  Photo 
10-12-2016, 08:32 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I really like this. It's a well worn idea but you have used it well.
10-12-2016, 08:40 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by From1980 Quote
I really like this. It's a well worn idea but you have used it well.
Thank you for your comment it is so much appreciated. I am new at it but attempting to improve my skills.
10-12-2016, 10:20 AM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
It's not just the framing I like, but the colour vs monochrome balance, too.

10-12-2016, 11:13 AM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

I like the colours vs monochrome look too, the only thing that I find a little jarring is the small patch of leaves in the upper right corner. It would have been nicer IMHO if the wall had continued to fill the corner but maybe the location did not allow for a re-position prior to taking the shot. I'm not sure if a tighter crop on the right side to lose the leaves would work as it would throw out the balance on the rest of the frame. You can't really crop more from the top as you would lose the top of the window frame too. A square or vertical (portrait) crop might work though, especially if you have more room on the original (I'm not sure if the example shown is cropped or not).
10-13-2016, 08:29 AM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tako Kichi Quote
I like the colours vs monochrome look too, the only thing that I find a little jarring is the small patch of leaves in the upper right corner. It would have been nicer IMHO if the wall had continued to fill the corner but maybe the location did not allow for a re-position prior to taking the shot. I'm not sure if a tighter crop on the right side to lose the leaves would work as it would throw out the balance on the rest of the frame. You can't really crop more from the top as you would lose the top of the window frame too. A square or vertical (portrait) crop might work though, especially if you have more room on the original (I'm not sure if the example shown is cropped or not).
Thank you Larry much appreciated if memory serves me right I tried my best to keep the right top out while taking the photo as well as in post but it could not happen. Next time I will keep a critical eye in the viewfinder to eliminate such distractions. Thanks once again.

---------- Post added 10-13-16 at 11:31 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
It's not just the framing I like, but the colour vs monochrome balance, too.
Thank you for favourable comment. Much appreciated.
10-13-2016, 09:42 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by adsouza Quote
Next time I will keep a critical eye in the viewfinder to eliminate such distractions.
I started shooting with SLRs in the film days (1979) when it was the done thing to compose the finished image in the view finder because you couldn't crop the shot afterwards (unless you had access to a darkroom or you sliced the print into a non-standard size). Some printing outlets would allow you to specify a specific crop but that was usually at an additional cost.

With modern post-processing software the photographer has many more options available and the need to compose in the view finder is now far less critical. If the shot above is not cropped (i.e. it is what you saw in the view finder) then you may have benefited by zooming out a little bit (or stepping backwards if using a prime) so that you had more space around what you envisaged as the finished image. You would then have had more options for cropping and a better chance of getting the 'keeper' you wanted.

Old habits are hard to break and I still try to compose in the view finder but if I find I'm not able to get the shot I want I will look at leaving space around the subject so that I can crop in PP.

10-14-2016, 10:37 AM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tako Kichi Quote
I started shooting with SLRs in the film days (1979) when it was the done thing to compose the finished image in the view finder because you couldn't crop the shot afterwards (unless you had access to a darkroom or you sliced the print into a non-standard size). Some printing outlets would allow you to specify a specific crop but that was usually at an additional cost.

With modern post-processing software the photographer has many more options available and the need to compose in the view finder is now far less critical. If the shot above is not cropped (i.e. it is what you saw in the view finder) then you may have benefited by zooming out a little bit (or stepping backwards if using a prime) so that you had more space around what you envisaged as the finished image. You would then have had more options for cropping and a better chance of getting the 'keeper' you wanted.

Old habits are hard to break and I still try to compose in the view finder but if I find I'm not able to get the shot I want I will look at leaving space around the subject so that I can crop in PP.
Thank you and much appreciated, I can use all the help to improve.
10-15-2016, 06:54 AM   #9
smf
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I join in the praise, and I applaud the first post byTako Kichi.
I like a cropped vesion (cropped a bit from the right).
Adsouza, I hope to see more of your images.
Best wishes.

Last edited by smf; 10-15-2016 at 01:27 PM. Reason: Typo
10-15-2016, 09:02 AM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by smf Quote
I join in the praise, and I applaud the first post Btu Tako Kichi.
I like a cropped vesion (cropped a bit from the right).
Adsouza, I hope to see more of your images.
Best wishes.
Thank you and I definitely will post more images.
10-31-2016, 04:24 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
you have an eye for composition for someone who claims is a beginner
I would have no problem mounting this on a wall
very nice indeed

Randy
11-01-2016, 11:30 AM   #12
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by slip Quote
you have an eye for composition for someone who claims is a beginner
I would have no problem mounting this on a wall
very nice indeed

Randy
Thank you Randy.
07-08-2018, 04:06 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Developing my photography so I am trying to improve and would gladly welcome your C&C.
Nice idea with a frame in which you have your object. Super.
07-15-2018, 12:01 PM   #14
Forum Member

I love the textures and the way the light is balanced between the wall and the fall scene through the window. The upper right corner is a slight distraction for me, but I don't know whether it could be cropped out without losing important elements. Overall, I think this is a really good shot.
07-17-2018, 08:24 AM   #15

Great composition.