Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-17-2016, 12:58 PM   #1
Forum Member

Fall in Caledon
Lens: 16-45mm F4 Camera: istDS2 Photo Location: Caledon ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/80s Aperture: F16 

Welcome all C&C to help develop my skills.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX *ist DS2  Photo 
10-17-2016, 08:39 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
First suggestion, get a polarizing filter if you are going to do landscapes. There was detail in the sky that could not come out without using one. Nice composition though (though having a train in there would be nice too). Loose the stuff (rail and tie) at the bottom. It adds nothing positive to the image.

Regards,
10-17-2016, 08:58 PM   #3
Pentaxian

I like the composition.

The sky needs work. There's nothing interesting up there because of even clouds and maybe too bright an exposure. Try decreasing the highlight slider to see if you can recover some detail. Boosting the clarity slider can sometimes help, but don't apply too much.
10-17-2016, 11:29 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
If you shot this in RAW there is still a lot you can do even though the *ist DS2 image quality is not quite as good compared to more recent models. In the RAW converter all you have to do is move the Highlight slider to the left and watch the sky recover.

The tip to use a polarizing filter is valid but most of the time, if you are like me, you don't have it with you.

What I would suggest is this:

Take a shot like this one, where the sky is always going to be an important part of the image, and expose to the left. This simply means you underexpose by, say, one or two stops. In other words you would expose correctly (or as nearly as possible correctly) for the sky. Now the rest of the picture will be underexposed. But if you take this picture in RAW format there will be enough dynamic range available to lift this part to a correct level of exposure, but leave the sky alone as it is. Don't use the Highlight slider but lift the shadow by working the Shadow slider. Or as it may be play around with the two sliders until you are happy. Even an old cam like the *ist DS2 should be suitable to do this.

Have a look at my post processed image, if I can achieve this with a low res 8bit JPG just imagine what you could do with a RAW image.

I also think the whole image is just too yellow and the colours are a wee bit oversaturated. Mother nature is putting on quite a spectacular as it is so I think it is really not necessary to overdo it to make a point.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Schraubstock; 11-15-2016 at 03:09 AM.
10-18-2016, 03:32 AM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigDave Quote
First suggestion, get a polarizing filter if you are going to do landscapes. There was detail in the sky that could not come out without using one. Nice composition though (though having a train in there would be nice too). Loose the stuff (rail and tie) at the bottom. It adds nothing positive to the image.

Regards,
Thanks will make it my next purchase.

---------- Post added 10-18-16 at 06:34 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
I like the composition.

The sky needs work. There's nothing interesting up there because of even clouds and maybe too bright an exposure. Try decreasing the highlight slider to see if you can recover some detail. Boosting the clarity slider can sometimes help, but don't apply too much.
Thanks will visit it again and see what I can do in PP.

---------- Post added 10-18-16 at 06:39 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote
If you shot this in RAW there is still a lot you can do even though the *ist DS2 image quality is not quite as good compared to more recent models. In the RAW converter all you have to do is move the Highlight slider to the left and watch the sky recover.

The tip to use a polarizing filter is valid but most of the time, if you are like me, you don't have it with you.

What I would suggest is this:

Take a shot like this one, where the sky is always going to be an important part of the image, and expose to the left. This simply means you underexpose by, say, one or two stops. In other words you would expose correctly (or as nearly as possible correctly) for the sky. Now the rest of the picture will be underexposed. But if you take this picture in RAW format there will be enough dynamic range available to lift this part to a correct level of exposure, but leave the sky alone as it is. Don't use the Highlight slider but lift the shadow by working the Shadow slider. Or as it may be play around with the two sliders until you are happy. Even an old cam like the *ist DS2 should be suitable to do this.

Have a look at my post processed image, if I can achieve this with a low res 8bit JPG just imagine what you could do with a RAW image.

I also think the whole image is just too yellow and the colours are a wee bit oversaturated. Mother nature is putting on quite a spectacular as it is so I think it is really not necessary to overdo it to make a point.

Hope this helps.
Brilliant, great advise and thanks for the improved image, I love it and it helps me see what I can do.
10-18-2016, 05:05 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by adsouza Quote
Brilliant, great advise and thanks for the improved image, I love it and it helps me see what I can do.
Another satisfied customer

Thanks for the positive response.
06-10-2018, 10:32 PM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Love the call colors! The only thing is resolution- with older cameras it really shows in detailed scenes such as this.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-07-2018, 09:36 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I like the lines leading you into the picture. Nice composition.
07-07-2018, 09:53 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Crop to 16:9 to remove the foreground.

IN your colours profile increase yellow and reds and greens. Bump both staturation and luminance about 15%. Save this as a"fall colours preset" if that's possible with your PP software.

For that particular image increase the definition a lot, and the sharpening a bit.

Buy a circularpolarizing filter that mounts on the front of the lens. Don't take it off, ever. Others will argue, don't listen to them.

Shoot 100 ISO. You need all the dynamic range you can get. 1/40s with a 16-45 should be fine.

F 11 on APS.c is the same as ƒ`16 ob full frame, and a lot sharper than ƒ16. ƒ16 is seriously diffraction limited on APS-c. You can increase the sharpness of your images about 20% just by shooting at say ƒ8, and get almost the same DoF in images like this. Especially if you crop the foreground.
10-23-2019, 01:16 AM   #10

very calm colors
10-23-2019, 01:39 PM   #11
Pentaxian

You got some great advice in this thread, and it's a lovely scene that can be captured even better.
10-30-2019, 01:13 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Very good composition. I have two problems only: Distracting items in the front (left down corner) and lack of sky. You need sky on this kind of images or you don't?