Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-30-2016, 10:40 AM   #1

Nightskyline
Lens: Pentax 50mm 1.4 Camera: Pentax K-70 Photo Location: Germany ISO: 800 Shutter Speed: Above 6s Aperture: F5.8 

I would to improve my nightphotography and would like to know what is alright and what could be better. Thanks in advance

11-01-2016, 08:39 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Excellent image: nice color contrast between the dark blue sky & sepia lighting, nice sweep from the hilltop castle or to the town below. Here's a couple of ideas you might consider:

1. A longer shutter speed would let you use a lower ISO and maybe boost the shadows to see the surrounding forest.

2. Taking this picture on a moon lit night might reveal more of the color of the roofs and the green forests surrounding the town, too.

3. A longer focal length or portrait-oriented composition could focus on the older parts of the town (removing the brightly-lit modern structures on the right and adding a bit more of the foreground buildings in the lower left)

4. Pictures at different times relative to sunrise or sunset might have different moods or sky colorations.

5. Use pixel shift to create even higher resolution versions of this image.
10-23-2019, 01:16 AM   #3

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Steiner1776 Quote
I would to improve my nightphotography and would like to know what is alright and what could be better. Thanks in advance
Very nice, the sky maybe could be more blue less magenta
10-24-2019, 11:16 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Biosaurus Quote
Very nice, the sky maybe could be more blue less magenta
So it wasn't just me that thought it looked a little too purple?

I really like the starbursts and the contrast of the sky and the old city lights, and the old vs. the new lights. The red lights make this angle and framing really interesting imho. But I also agree with @photoptimist with his 3rd point, try and get different framings that focus on smaller parts of the old town. Those newer lights are not as pleasant to the eye as the old ones and the dark area of forests and fields above are low contrast and dark, quite a lot of empty space in the frame

10-24-2019, 11:55 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I agree that a longer exposure at lower ISO would probably yield superior results, but I personally don't mind the new parts of town in the shot.
10-24-2019, 03:28 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Lovely composition.
Also agree, a longer exposure with lower ISO would help with allowing you to recover more shadow detail (if you want to). I would suggest stopping down a bit too but the light stars are probably prominent enough as it is.
10-24-2019, 06:06 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Steiner1776 Quote
Looks amazing. Love the star burst as well.