Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-05-2016, 03:11 PM   #1
Pentaxian

My Wife on Film
Camera: MX Photo Location: Washington State 

I don't really do portrait photography and wife hates having her picture taken, but I manged to get her to sit still for a moment at a summer solstice party at the beach. This was a film shot on (I think) Kodak Max. Not my favorite film, but it was available.

Because this is not what I usually do, I'd welcome input and advice on anything that might make the next one better.

---------- Post added 11-05-16 at 03:14 PM ----------

I'll start...I don't think I nailed focus on her eyes. Her left hand seems to be in sharpest focus. I don't know what aperture was, but that might have made a difference.

11-05-2016, 05:55 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Not a bad start. You already noticed the focus issue, so that's good. The first thing that I look for in a conventional portrait is 'catchlights' in the eyes, sometimes called 'specular highlights'. I often use a flash to bring them out, but a reflector (get a BIG one) would work better in natural light like this if it was bright enough out. It would also open up the shadows created by the brim of your wife's hat. Deeper depth of field would improve the composition, in my opinion, regardless of focus issues.
11-05-2016, 10:23 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hi

In addition to the aforementioned, compositionally, the lump wood in the foreground is too overpowering. It dominates the picture in an ugly way.

Cheers
11-06-2016, 10:48 AM   #4

Too much negative space above her head. I'd close in more.

11-06-2016, 12:10 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A good start, I can't add to the comments above.
11-06-2016, 10:00 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Aside from the other advices, I find the opposite shoreline and mountain interfere too much with her head. Sharp lines cutting into faces bother me a lot though so take this with a grain of salt. I do however think the colour scheme is rather nice.
11-07-2016, 02:27 AM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Do what you gotta do, Troika, but you must see her eyes clearly ... you can build the photo around them.

If she won't lose the hat, her head has to be tilted back enough so that the brim shadow doesn't fall over them.

11-07-2016, 08:06 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Great inputs from everyone, thank you!
11-24-2016, 04:02 PM   #9
Veteran Member

great start. the only thing I can add is not cutting the ends of her fingers off. maybe lay that hand more horizontally?

randy
11-26-2016, 01:25 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
All great feedback and advance, thanks.
11-26-2016, 10:20 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I admire your courage to learn photography with film; I failed that miserably more than 15 years ago...
Nevertheless, we have some good folks here on this forum who can certainly help...
11-27-2016, 05:25 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

First off I would crop down to about one half inch above her cap. I will be the odd duck here and admit that I sort of like the obtrusive driftwood as it tends to pull the eyes directly towards the subject. I would also encourage some increase in saturation all around, because color wise it seems a bit flat or lacking. It would work better if she had pushed the bill of her hat back aways to expose her eyes better with more light. Nice looking lady with a winning smile. Thanks for sharing.

Rgds,

Antonio
11-27-2016, 12:26 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
I admire your courage to learn photography with film; I failed that miserably more than 15 years ago...
Nevertheless, we have some good folks here on this forum who can certainly help...
I learned on film on my dad's Canon in the 80s, but technology made me dumber over the years and I forgot how to compose, expose and chose my depth of field. So, going back to it just forces me to slow down and remember how to take photos. My K5ii gets much more use but I really enjoy shooting film.

QuoteOriginally posted by Tonytee Quote
First off I would crop down to about one half inch above her cap. I will be the odd duck here and admit that I sort of like the obtrusive driftwood as it tends to pull the eyes directly towards the subject. I would also encourage some increase in saturation all around, because color wise it seems a bit flat or lacking. It would work better if she had pushed the bill of her hat back aways to expose her eyes better with more light. Nice looking lady with a winning smile. Thanks for sharing.

Rgds,

Antonio
Thanks, Antonio, I'll try that.

What I failed to mention, that might have effected some of the advice is that she didn't/won't pose for me. If I catch her in a good environment and pose, I can occasionally get her to sit still and smile for a moment, but for now, that's the best I can do.
11-27-2016, 09:08 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by troika Quote
My K5ii gets much more use but I really enjoy shooting film.
Why not use the k-5IIs to experiment at a much faster pace (take it in JPG if you want to see instant result)? Just saying and not being critical on your choice..
11-28-2016, 09:39 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I do use my K5 that way. To your point, I can take a million shots and learn from them instantly.

But, now and again, shooting an all-manual film camera forces me and my eye into a different perspective. I enjoy it and it helps me...plus it's cheap "Full Frame".