Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-14-2016, 12:35 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Limelight from a different view.
Lens: Pentax 18~55mm Camera: Pentax K100D Super Photo Location: Home. ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/30s Aperture: F5.6 

One thing I have found in photography is that it is always fun to try a different idea. Here I was just about to hit the shutter button thereby activating the onboard flash, however, I studied the subject and thought it would set a really nice mood to the scene, au natural. Personally, I like it. However, I thought I would receive some ideas as to what to do and what not to do. Many thanks for viewing.

Focal Length, 55mm, no flash and used Multi-Segment Metering.

Rgds,

Antonio.

Last edited by Tonytee; 11-14-2016 at 12:37 AM. Reason: Additional Information
11-15-2016, 08:06 PM   #2

Good call not using the flash. The flash would have created a different feeling but I like how it looks without it.
11-16-2016, 01:07 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thank you Mr. GolNat. I am now considering sending this one over to Costco for enlargement and eventually framed.

Rgds,

Antonio

---------- Post added 11-16-16 at 01:08 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by GolNat Quote
Good call not using the flash. The flash would have created a different feeling but I like how it looks without it.
Thank you very much for your response. Greatly appreciated. I am now considering sending this one over to Costco for enlargement and eventually having it framed.

Rgds,

Antonio
11-16-2016, 01:55 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hi
first up, I quite like the image, I really do. But I find that these sort of accidental or purpose experimental shots hardly ever are any good without a bit of help in PP. They should not come at the expense of distorted colour, contrast, brightens or whatever else. Hence having them in the "can" in RAW is a definite advantage. As you can see in what I have done here correcting any sort of gentle, smooth or subtle out of focus backgrounds will result in banding.

Still you can see what I was trying to do. and a light crop would not go astray either I think, but you can experiment yourself and see what you like. The almost black leaves (?) I am not so keen on either but one often finds out this sort of thing after the shot is taken and it is too late to do anything about it.

Hope I have bee constructive.

Cheers

Last edited by Schraubstock; 01-31-2017 at 11:05 PM.
11-16-2016, 09:12 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi Tony. I like it too, it is a very intriguing image. One of those it would be possible to spend hours with, exploring various interpretations..I spent 30 minutes or so playing with it in lightroom. As is it seems a bit murky and flat to me but when attempting to give it some punch the banding as described above, took over. Perhaps it is better if I don't mess with it.

Before you do print it check closely for sensor spots, there are a few. One in particular shows up to the below right of the main flower. And as already mentioned a slight crop to remove distractions around the edge would not go astray.

Cheers

Last edited by Bruce Clark; 11-16-2016 at 09:13 AM. Reason: typo
11-16-2016, 03:23 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Okay, well my goodness. I received more than I had hoped for. Thanks to everyone for the most helpful and educational suggestions and information.

Regards,

Antonio
11-17-2016, 02:38 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I quite liked the original but I do agree that a light crop would be helpful on the old adage that less is more and Schraubstock's tinkering has improved the detail no end but I'm not so sure about the background colour change or maybe that's just my monitor.

11-17-2016, 03:55 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PenPusher Quote
I quite liked the original but I do agree that a light crop would be helpful on the old adage that less is more and Schraubstock's tinkering has improved the detail no end but I'm not so sure about the background colour change or maybe that's just my monitor.
I believe the background color change is what is meant as banding. I do not care for it, as it looks like the rings around Saturn.

Many thanks for your feedback.

Antonio