Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
11-21-2016, 08:02 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
What can I do to improve this? How could I have taken it better?
Lens: Smc PENTAX-DA 35mm F2.4 AL Camera: PENTAX K-50 Photo Location: Lamb's Canyon, Utah ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1s Aperture: F22 

I will try to post the original somewhere, as I'd like someone to tell me if it is as sharp as I can expect. I tend to pixel peep a little and I'm never really satisfied with the sharpness. I'm hoping it's just me being paranoid.

This is out of camera jpeg. I plan on editing the DNG but I don't have Adobe software and RawTherapy doesn't work on windows. Any advice as to post-processing (what to use & what adjustments I should make) is appreciated. Thanks.

11-21-2016, 09:13 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I tried cropping this a number of ways and could not make it work well. I think the biggest problem is there are too many conflicting elements with the logs/branches. The central portion of the image needs to be cleaner/simpler. If you could have concentrated on the bottom portion and given more of the stream below the rocks that might have helped. You were seeing something, but could not bring it out in a way that would work.
11-22-2016, 12:00 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigDave Quote
I tried cropping this a number of ways and could not make it work well. I think the biggest problem is there are too many conflicting elements with the logs/branches. The central portion of the image needs to be cleaner/simpler. If you could have concentrated on the bottom portion and given more of the stream below the rocks that might have helped. You were seeing something, but could not bring it out in a way that would work.
Funny you mention it because I had to remove several branches and other debris just to get the shot as clean as it is. I agree though that it is messy. I actually had to blaze through really thick brush to get to the stream. The bottom portion of the waterfall was just as cluttered unfortunately. Thanks for the feedback!
11-22-2016, 10:57 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Zephos Quote
I will try to post the original somewhere, as I'd like someone to tell me if it is as sharp as I can expect. I tend to pixel peep a little and I'm never really satisfied with the sharpness. I'm hoping it's just me being paranoid.

This is out of camera jpeg. I plan on editing the DNG but I don't have Adobe software and RawTherapy doesn't work on windows. Any advice as to post-processing (what to use & what adjustments I should make) is appreciated. Thanks.
I am surprised you can't use Raw Therapee with Windows... I have Windows and Raw Therapee works just fine.

---------- Post added 11-22-16 at 10:59 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Zephos Quote

In terms of edits, the thing that stands out is that you have those bright white spots in the water. I would adjust the highlight threshold, or whatever is called (highlight compression threshold?). Nice image.

11-23-2016, 06:02 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'd probably crop it down centering on where the water is flowing over the rocks and the log and possibly give the same effect as I got after taking the wide angle shot and then zooming in on the stick in the second shot. Transforming the stick from an annoying piece of debris in the wider shot to the center of attention.
I also took the liberty of downloading your photo and cropped it so you can see what I mean.
With respect to the fine adjustment of lighting and color tones, I feel that this is more a matter of individual visual perception like adding seasonings to a meal

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo 

Last edited by NS_Sailor; 11-24-2016 at 09:23 AM.
11-24-2016, 03:51 PM   #6
Veteran Member

As is, I think it is a good photo. for some reason the upper big branch going across rubs me the wrong way. I realize you can't move it but maybe a more suitable spot is around?
I go back when there is less light so the shutter will be open longer. for best sharpness, f22 would not be the way to go. is possible f11 would be better.
otherwise great photo!
another suggestion is to down load a free trial of photoshop elements and play with it in raw
Randy
11-25-2016, 10:02 PM   #7

I think if you swung left and got lower you could have cleaned it up a lot. The moss adds a cool bit of color so I would have liked to make sure that it was included. I do enjoy the diagonal lines that the logs provide.

11-26-2016, 11:18 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have to agree with most of the comments so far, lower, and to the left would have been a better composition and POV (I assume to the right would put you in the stream)

The hardest piece is always determining what drew you to the scene in the first place. here's what I see:
1. Dynamic water vs. static objects
2. Objects under water, objects sticking out of water, objects along the water
3. Almost perpendicular intersections of the static and the dynamic.

It's the intersection of the two the catches my eye, so I DL'd your image and cropped to emphasize that that. I also chose a BW conversion because the colors are fairly drab, and don't add to the picture. BW allows one to see the stronger elements underneath the water.
11-27-2016, 05:39 AM - 1 Like   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Sometimes we have to accept the hard fact that there just isn't a doable shot. It may look very appealing outside of the viewfinder, however, reality teaches us differently. This comes with time and a lot of hard work. This is one hellova effort, and I applaud you for it.

Rgds,

Antonio
11-27-2016, 08:03 AM   #10
Forum Member

Have you tried adjusting the brightness and contrast just a little bit? If you lower the brightness just a touch and raise the contrast a smidge, you can increase the perceived sharpness of the image.
Attached Images