Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-21-2016, 09:00 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Post processing in Elements 14.
Lens: DA 35mm macro ltd Camera: K5iis 

Need opinions what can be improved.
I'm not good with photoshop, any advice is appreciated.
I did not plan to edit so far, just opened to clone out some distracting spots on the bottom (actually "painted" the left hand and top near the hand).
Then I blended edited pictures with another filled with color file, and did some soft light brushing. I did not do any makeup, she had it.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
11-21-2016, 09:04 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Here is the original, actually it's a crop from the original.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
11-21-2016, 11:59 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
At first, I thought well, why do anything? Lovely child and excellent pose. The only offering I have would be to place the exposure on her face in the second photograph to the first. I like the lighter look, myself. Other than that, I believe you did a wonderful job here. Many thanks for sharing.

Antonio
11-22-2016, 04:35 AM   #4
Pentaxian

I like the exposure on the face in the first one. But i like that you removed her from the distraction in the background.
Did you loose a little bit of exposure on the foreground as you pulled down the shadows?
What you could do is use a brush to increase the exposure a little on the first one.
Lovely girl though. Pure innocence.

11-22-2016, 04:51 AM   #5
PJ1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Great shot! I am still getting by on Elements 12 but nowhere near your level of competence!
11-22-2016, 05:16 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thank you, guys.
Yes, the face.What I see at the first picture, I did not make the face more 3D, I messed up with the shadows because I was not sure if I want to lose the original texture on her face with the brush touch up. So I left the face as it pretty much, no smoothing (kids don't need it, they are not dolls), no paint.

Plus, I think I made her hair on the top too dark, and there I can use the brush to make the top more visible
Maybe, instead of blending with almost black background I should use dark gray to achieve lighter exposure on her face, lighter and preserve "glowing" shadows on her face?

I will start over, it's a good picture for practicing "painting" without much painting ))) I use the eraser tool on the layer mask to blend as a painting. In ideal I want some look like Velazquez portraiture, but without brush strokes.
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/42/Diego_Vel%C3%A1zquez_-_I...-_WGA24460.jpg

---------- Post added 11-22-16 at 05:18 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by PJ1 Quote
Great shot! I am still getting by on Elements 12 but nowhere near your level of competence!
Thank you, but you are totally mistaken about my level
I watch the tutorials, and mostly guess with steps to take. Photoshop is an amazing tool to play, and what I do instead of learning it seriously.

If someone has links on tutorials how to turn the picture into painting look without much painting, mostly eraser, I appreciate sharing. There are so many tutorials how to edit face, how to put make up, but not that much how to do more intuitive work with layer masks.

Last edited by micromacro; 11-22-2016 at 05:27 AM.
11-22-2016, 08:26 AM - 1 Like   #7
Moderator PEG Judges
Loyal Site Supporter

A beautiful portrait of a childs innocence... or not if the case maybe as you may know this young lady.

All I would do, is just a wee tweak to lift the eyes a little.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
11-22-2016, 09:10 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Yes, forgot about eyes, thanks.
She is adorable, innocent, cute little beast She and her sister are my favorite models, when I can catch them. Or when I can't, so I just switch to burst mode
Too bad I don't have any good portrait of the bride to edit, I'm terrible wedding photographer. Kids, cats, and wildlife- that's better.

---------- Post added 11-22-16 at 10:04 AM ----------

This one will be the final for now, and one day I will re-do it again, when learn more.
I finished in LR, made the eyes brighter, touched a bit her face with lighting brush, and played with shadows on hair edges.

---------- Post added 11-22-16 at 10:08 AM ----------

Wow, flickr ruined the quality!
I've never seen it before how bad it looks compare to PF uploads.

11-24-2016, 03:56 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

fantastic shot! the only thing, and it is nit picking, is to crop the bottom just a bit to make it look like you are not cutting off her limbs. love the pose and lighting
01-20-2017, 05:48 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Nice job and a fair amount of work.
01-27-2017, 09:45 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Persevere with Photoshop. It is so much better than any version of Elements.
01-27-2017, 09:48 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Terry C Quote
Persevere with Photoshop. It is so much better than any version of Elements.
I disagree.

I have both PS and Elements. I greatly prefer Elements with NIK, Topaz, Picure+ and a few other plugins added.
01-28-2017, 01:00 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

By all means disagree, but Photoshop is the number one software for photo manipulation. Elements does not even come close, it is very basic.
01-28-2017, 01:08 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Terry C Quote
By all means disagree, but Photoshop is the number one software for photo manipulation. Elements does not even come close, it is very basic.
I've used PS since the very beginning (even taught it at University for a few years). I find that some photographers put down Elements because it is "cheap" and therefore they "assume" that it must be greatly inferior. I've exclusively used Elements now for about 6 months (after using PS for 10 years) and can say that it takes a long time to fully explore Elements and that a quick trial will not enable one to fairly evaluate it.

Now days, I prefer Elements with all of the wonderful plugins I mentioned. As you probably know, most of the latest new PS features over the last few years were Adobe incorporating into PS capabilities that mimic popular third party software (e.g. HDR, Panos, etc.). I, like many photographers, still prefer the original plugins to the PS version of that feature (e.g. for HDR I prefer Photomatix Pro).

Sure, there are a few things I can't do in Elements (like make custom actions, take a "snapshot" of the history, or Edit/Fade an action) but I've found workarounds and therefore can live without them.

The big things that I like about Elements is that it does a great job with "Layers" (critically important to my workflow), and that many of my favorite plugins work beautifully in Elements. Once I got used to the different menus in Elements, I now find that I much prefer Elements menus to PS menus.

On the top center of Elements are 4 different versions that you can choose. The first 3 versions are for beginners and I would not ever even consider using. If you are an experienced PS user, choose Elements "Expert" version and I suspect that you'll be pretty happy with Elements after a few months of adjusting to its' changes.

Elements is "good enough" for me and I don't have the continued expense of paying monthly fees for the PS cloud service. Also, I've heard problems with people trying to re-upload their PS plugins every time a new version of PS Cloud comes out. That's a bit of a deal braker for me as I rely on my plugins just as much as I do the native program.

Anyway, I do still have a stand alone copy of PS on my computer, but I don't have a need to use it anymore. For anyone who's not a full time professional photographer or photo editor, I expect that Elements (with a few plugins) will do just about everything you need to do.

Terry C. you said that "Elements does not even come close, it is very basic". I'd sure like to hear more. Did you use Elements "Expert" mode or one of its' more basic modes? For how long did you try Elements?

Last edited by Fenwoodian; 01-29-2017 at 11:14 AM.
02-02-2017, 05:03 PM   #15
Pentaxian

I can't add to this conversation any more than to say Wow. Fantastic use of Elements.