Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
12-04-2016, 09:30 AM - 2 Likes   #1

Photos: Gallery
Hand Held, Pitch Black
Lens: Pentax 18-55 Camera: Pentax K3 Photo Location: Whitefish, MT 

We were skiing uphill after dark and it was snowing heavily. I wanted to get this shot but didn't want to impede progress by setting up a tripod and also I didn't want the "long exposure" look.
This was tough, Manual focus, ISO 6400, f/5.6, shutter 1/50.
How do you guys feel about shooting pitch black?
Also, this was edited with Lightroom. What sliders should I ignore and which ones should I focus on?

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
12-04-2016, 05:49 PM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Its got atmosphere, that's for sure! Quite a mysterious, ghostly feel, so well worth the effort to capture.

The focus now, for processing and improving it, is surely going to be on Noise Reduction, in particular Colour Noise (purple and blue here) . Also you might try different colour balances, as it now shows as mostly a 'blue cast' .... you'll get different feels with different colour casts.
07-07-2018, 06:43 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JedlyMT Quote
We were skiing uphill after dark and it was snowing heavily. I wanted to get this shot but didn't want to impede progress by setting up a tripod and also I didn't want the "long exposure" look.
Also, this was edited with Lightroom. What sliders should I ignore and which ones should I focus on?
I think it is alright. There is action in you picture: you've got the man in front and one more behind him, you've got the snow, it is pitch black and. One might wonder where they are going, did they have a rough tour? I like it.
08-25-2018, 02:18 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Wow, so dark and mysterious!

08-25-2018, 06:37 PM   #5

It looks like the ISO brought out a lot of grain. But in the context of this photo that is actually a plus, enhancing the otherworldly feel.
08-28-2018, 10:13 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I really like this too. I cannot find any fault with it. It is a very haunting and mysterious scene. Reminds me of John Carpenter’s “Thing”. I heard moody synth music immediately. Well done!!
10-23-2019, 01:14 AM   #7

Photos: Gallery | Albums
i love the spirit

11-24-2019, 02:42 PM   #8
Banned

very nice
11-25-2019, 08:22 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I think you get the feeling of the cold night very good!