Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-06-2016, 01:30 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Paignton Pier
Lens: Pentax 18-135 Camera: Pentax K5 Photo Location: Devon UK ISO: 400 Shutter Speed: 1/250s Aperture: F8 

I wanted to get a 3 shot HDR image along the beach to the pier. But, because of the movement I decided it would be better to take 1 shot and play on the laptop. The original image used the ISO listed and I then created two more images in Lightroom, one at -2 stops and one at +2 stops. I then put the 3 images through Photomatix Pro to get the final image. Normally I don't go the Painterly route preferring a more natural look but I thought it worked for this image.

I know HDR is very much a Marmite style but I would appreciate your thoughts and critique.

12-06-2016, 01:43 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Very nice job, interesting.
12-06-2016, 02:38 PM   #3
Pentaxian

The pier and land are too small on PF to appreciate the photo. The larger version on Flickr is nice.

There's such a small amount of color in your photo that it seems worth trying a B&W version.

Does Photomatix require three photos as input or could you just take your original +0 photo and load that to get the HDR effect? I ask because the HDR module of Nik can work off a single photo, and Photomatix is more powerful.
12-07-2016, 01:11 AM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks for the feedback guys, it's appreciated.

John, I did think of a mono version but I liked that sliver of colour across the image.
Photomatix can do a single shot HDR but I find three shots works better.

12-07-2016, 02:43 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I see what you are trying to do and not bad at all but in the competition world it would probably be shot down on composition grounds, they would probably look for the coastline to be around 1/3rd up from the bottom, why not give it a try and see if you think it's better. I know the silvery effect in the sea is what you feel is important and it is nicely done but I think there is a little too much showing when the subject is a rather thin coastline in relation to sky and sea.

kind regards

CD
12-07-2016, 09:32 AM   #6

Original Poster
I see what you are saying CD I would normally adhere to the Rule of Thirds. This time however all three elements were important so I didn't. The sea, the sky and the pier (not Torquay in the background) were equally important so I gave them equal prominence, though you might not think so with the pier :-)
12-07-2016, 10:40 AM   #7
Pentaxian

I prefer to call it the "Guideline of Thirds". Compose a photo with it, or not, whatever fits the scene.

If printing that photo, a 3:1 crop to emphasize the land might work well. Print 8 or 12" high by 24 or 36" wide. That doesn't work well for on screen viewing because there's too much wasted vertical space.

12-09-2016, 11:59 PM   #8

Mabey because I am a sailor but I immediately saw this as an image fretting sea an sky. it really catches the mood. I like the sky but find it perhaps a little 'overcooked'. A bit less heavy and it would lift, differentiate in tonal scale from the sea and give more sense of space.
12-10-2016, 02:40 AM   #9

Original Poster
Roland, you're right it is overcooked but I thought it worked this time. HDR really is a love/hate technique and I could probably change it a number of times and get different people liking each version. There have been some great comments about this shot though and I apprecite them all.
12-10-2016, 08:08 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Lovely photo, to my eye, I'd use a long oval radial filter over the pier and buildings and use a warmer setting to bring out the lights against the grey of the sea and sky. But it's mainly personal likes!

I haven't been to Paignton sine the late 50's, lovely to see it again.

Tuggie76
07-07-2018, 01:26 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ray Hines Quote
I wanted to get a 3 shot HDR image along the beach to the pier. But, because of the movement I decided it would be better to take 1 shot and play on the laptop. The original image used the ISO listed and I then created two more images in Lightroom, one at -2 stops and one at +2 stops. I then put the 3 images through Photomatix Pro to get the final image. Normally I don't go the Painterly route preferring a more natural look but I thought it worked for this image.

I know HDR is very much a Marmite style but I would appreciate your thoughts and critique.
I think you've done quite a good job. This is the way I like HDR. Not too much. Just a little twist.
Weel done.
08-05-2018, 07:09 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Beautiful!
10-04-2019, 04:41 PM   #13

surreal
10-04-2019, 09:00 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I think it's a bit much
10-23-2019, 01:14 AM   #15

nice details