Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-11-2016, 05:07 AM   #1

Sunset Blvd
Lens: Pentax-DA 18-50mm F4-5.6 Camera: Pentax K-S2 ISO: 400 Shutter Speed: 1/8s Aperture: F8 

Hey Guys,

Here's a generic sunset I caught a few months ago. Only right before uploading it to Flickr did I realize how aptly the place was called "Sunset Blvd". The real one was beaut. Only hope I was able to give it justice.

Anyway, it would be great if you could give me your critiques on this guys. No need to pull punches.

Also, any techniques or tips to taking and post-processing sunsets will be appreciated.

12-11-2016, 06:47 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A nice shot where exactly was it taken it looks tropical.

I find the best colours are after sunset when the sun has gone down and most people walk away. If you sometimes have a problem with burnt out highlights I usually use -EV and try and recapture the shadows in post processing but you probably know all that already.

I think I would have tried to capture a bit more of the sky and a little less of the water but you were there and I wasn't and it's very easy to criticise something when you don't know the conditions in which it was taken.

CD
12-11-2016, 03:27 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice work

Agree fully with PP. For sunsets I normally expose for a patch of sky without the sun in view. Overall the effect is one or two stops underexposed. Results in richer colours and details can be easily recovered in PP.
12-12-2016, 02:29 AM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks PenPusher and Bruce Clark.

I'll keep underexposing in mind. I've actually just learned how powerful raw is when it comes to recovering details and this shot was taken long before so I really had trouble keeping myself from blowing the highlights in some parts (some parts actually are).

08-05-2018, 07:09 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by trigger.happy Quote
Hey Guys,

Here's a generic sunset I caught a few months ago. Only right before uploading it to Flickr did I realize how aptly the place was called "Sunset Blvd". The real one was beaut. Only hope I was able to give it justice.

Anyway, it would be great if you could give me your critiques on this guys. No need to pull punches.

Also, any techniques or tips to taking and post-processing sunsets will be appreciated.
It works beautifully.