Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
12-15-2016, 06:38 PM - 3 Likes   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Bumper harvest export lucerne hay drying out.
Lens: FA43 Camera: K3 Photo Location: Greenock South Australia ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/250s Aperture: F10 

Stitched together a series of Photos however the resultant is too wide. Left and right crops of the file. Taken late afternoon. Appreciate comments. K3 with FA43 1/250 - ISO100 - f10 on Manual mode.

12-16-2016, 12:11 AM   #2
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I prefer the first one. It picks up the rolls so you start at the left and the eye is drawn in to the scene. My eye follows the rolls into the distance then back to the hills in the centre background as the finishing point. The line of the clouds makes a good frame for the scene. That is the way it works for me so I give it a big tick!.

I drove past a big paddock of hay like this the other day and remember thinking that there was some potential in the shapes and contrasts made by the rolls.
12-16-2016, 12:22 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm with PJ1 - I prefer the first. Those photos could have been taken an hour's drive from here in Alberta last fall. It's getting hard to find clean shots of the fields, though, because of the wind generators the farmers are using to augment their income.
12-16-2016, 03:39 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you for your comments, I had been to the area the week before and lighting too strong and I had used the 15/4 with bales looking too far in distance. Glad it turned out this time.

12-16-2016, 04:13 PM   #5
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Very good shots Kev. I prefer the first one too, for the composition and the colours.

Only thing I'd add is that I wonder whether a polarizing filter would have helped? I often think myself that I should use them more, especially in summer.

I've had disappointing results with the 43 for "vista" landscapes, with CA and flare. I've tended to prefer the humble DA 35 f2.4. I have tended to use the FA 43 for people and pets and little things. I should give it another go.

Isn't panorama software amazing? This is better than the result you would get with a UWA lens.
12-16-2016, 06:39 PM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
Isn't panorama software amazing? This is better than the result you would get with a UWA lens.
Thanks for comments. Yes the new software is amazing, you need a good amount of overlap and I've had a couple of failures where it ended up not very consistent - due my error. Original photos had a bit of haze - ran Haze removal in Photoshop and came up very clear.
12-17-2016, 01:31 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

#1 is far more interesting. I often drive past such scenes and wonder how to go about getting a photo. Usually I am on the way to somewhere or have passengers so find it difficult to stop or at the wrong time of day .Pano is the way to go but I really think it would be better to get inside the fence somehow to remove the foreground clutter and perhaps walk around to get a strong composition. It is an interesting problem and next time I am in the same position I will try my damnedest to stop and have a go.

12-17-2016, 05:58 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Nice... top one for me to.
12-17-2016, 02:26 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for comments, have been to the scene numerous times over the years never the correct time. Was there the week before same time of day but very clear sky and the light quite harsh. The grass at the front does bother me - might take the mower with me next time Ha Ha.
12-17-2016, 04:20 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by kev.pride Quote
Thanks for comments, have been to the scene numerous times over the years never the correct time. Was there the week before same time of day but very clear sky and the light quite harsh. The grass at the front does bother me - might take the mower with me next time Ha Ha.
I'd just go into the paddock.... keep a rubber mat in the back of the car for the electric fences....if there on... worth exploring angles with a telephoto as well.

Last edited by noelpolar; 12-17-2016 at 04:31 PM.