Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-02-2017, 11:30 PM   #1

One of my first attempts at macro
Lens: Pentax 28-80 f zoom Camera: K 10D Photo Location: Edgewater FL ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/45s Aperture: F8 

Its actually 1\40 but it wasn't in the drop menu. I'd really like thoughts on this its one of the very first macro shots I've ever done honestly I'm very proud of it but I'd love input as to what I can do to take it even further. Also proud to say this was manual mode

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
01-03-2017, 01:43 AM   #2
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Good job!

Lovely colours and good detail on the petals and stamen.

I assume this was taken with the on-board flash, as the flower petals and other flower heads are brightly and evenly lit. If that's the case, most of the light captured here appears to be from the flash. Something you might try as an experiment next time is to increase the ISO (to 200 or even 400). By increasing the sensitivity, the flash output won't need to be as strong, and you'll get more of a balance between natural and flash lighting. The downside with using the higher ISO is that the image will be noisier, but that may not matter too much. Give it a whirl and see if you notice the different effect

As a side note, I really like the F 28-80 lens... it renders out-of-focus areas very nicely when used like this.
01-03-2017, 09:48 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Good job!

Lovely colours and good detail on the petals and stamen.

I assume this was taken with the on-board flash, as the flower petals and other flower heads are brightly and evenly lit. If that's the case, most of the light captured here appears to be from the flash. Something you might try as an experiment next time is to increase the ISO (to 200 or even 400). By increasing the sensitivity, the flash output won't need to be as strong, and you'll get more of a balance between natural and flash lighting. The downside with using the higher ISO is that the image will be noisier, but that may not matter too much. Give it a whirl and see if you notice the different effect

As a side note, I really like the F 28-80 lens... it renders out-of-focus areas very nicely when used like this.
Yes it was the on board flash thank you very much since these are in GMA's back yard I'll defiantly try that next time I visit
08-25-2018, 02:18 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Velcrowcat1214 Quote
Its actually 1\40 but it wasn't in the drop menu. I'd really like thoughts on this its one of the very first macro shots I've ever done honestly I'm very proud of it but I'd love input as to what I can do to take it even further. Also proud to say this was manual mode
Extremely well done!

08-30-2018, 07:53 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I like it, lovely colors and a good clean composition. Well done, especially for a first attempt.