Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-03-2008, 08:46 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Be gentle...

I don't post here much, so be gentle

Looking to see how I could improve the image below. Personally, I love it as is, and it's please the wife and grandparents etc. So from that end, I did OK.

My best guess is the focus is more on the rat and less on my daughter but honestly never bothered me

only other guess would maybe be the blurred background, but considering how hyper the triplets can be, and the fact that when i am in the playroom with a camera they tend to try to play with the camera...that i got my daughter to not freak out and in fact provide a nice shot....well....im happy. but i figure there's gotta be room for improvement..

08-04-2008, 01:52 AM   #2
Damn Brit

You know what, don't sweat about pictures like these. They are happy memories, quality is less important than the memory. You are happy with it so it's a good pic.
In the future when your daughter looks at that picture, she's going to remember that toy. In fact you have created a memory for her.
Let us critique other pictures that aren't so personal.
Gary
08-04-2008, 05:49 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I agree with Gary. Shots like this should be family memories and should be treasured as such. You'll likely look back on these for the emotions and memories they evoke. It is somewhat like photojournalism in that being there and getting the shot is the main thing because that particular moment won't happen again. Dave
08-04-2008, 06:25 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
fair enough....

when the camera returns, ill be up for taking more. hard to take pictures with just lenses

08-04-2008, 10:45 AM   #5

I like it. Sure her face is not as sharp as it could be, but I like the composition and the natural lighting. I understand about the subject constantly moving, it's hard to get a sharp one, focus or blur. She is a real cutie and reminds me a lot of my daughter when she was that age. She's 28 now. She used to say she had orange hair NOT red, and you didn't tell her it was red either!

Morg.
08-04-2008, 04:13 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Did you notice how the rat is looking directly into your daughter's eyes? Good capture.
08-05-2008, 10:43 AM   #7
graphicgr8s

This may be one of those "memory" shots but I think you nailed it. The dark background, more focus on the stuffed animal and not where you'd expect the focus to be... Wonderful shot.

08-05-2008, 10:57 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
thanks for the comments.

I put it up here because I thought it had a shot for the PPG (it was rejected). That, and the funniest thing for me is that I remember just putting the 40 on the k10 and sitting with my kids and shooting while they were playing in the morning. Nothing posed or planned (daughter generally hates that now). She liked daddy having the camera, sat on my lap and wanted to play with the camera. But it wasn't until I uploaded the pictures that I saw this one, and while I know I took it, it was not a moment that stood out to me, if that makes sense.

Seeing it in iPhoto felt like opening a pack of baseball cards and finding that card you had been chasing, in a way.

And, I can say it looks better printed. Put that out on 8x10 glossy as a first test of my new epson a couple months back, and it sits on her grandfather's desk.

So yea, I'm proud of that one

Sadly, her brothers don't lend themselves to photo opps as often, not that candid anyways