Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-10-2017, 02:48 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Back of downtown scenes
Lens: Tokina AF193 19-35mm f/3.5-4.5 Camera: K10D Photo Location: Norcross, GA ISO: 100 Aperture: F8 

I tried to give these pictures a bit of that "film" feel that some of us are so fond of... not by using any film presets, but by tweaking until it looks like something I am satisfied with. And not chasing any film in particular... just the "feel" of a 70s-era photograph. I think I might have overdone the vignette on the 1st one a bit, but it somehow still works I think... what do you guys and gals say?

Photos taken in RAW and processed very similarly in Corel Aftershot Pro.

01-11-2017, 09:10 PM   #2

First photo reminds me of William Eggleston.
01-12-2017, 01:22 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BATMON Quote
First photo reminds me of William Eggleston.
I never expected that big a compliment But I am very ashamed to say that I did have to look him up, wasn't familiar with his work (I've only been doing this photography thing for 3 years...)

I LOVE the look of his work, and can only imagine what his dye transfer prints look like in real life. Thanks for introducing me to him I just can't believe I had never ran into his work before, and I've googled things "great photographers" for a couple years now, trying to know new great ones.
01-12-2017, 08:29 PM   #4
mee
Veteran Member

It is interesting to see the places often missed from the public view... and as much as I have that sentiment, I've taken a few of these before too.

However, I also think hanging out behind buildings, taking photos of the backdoors and windows might also be perceived as casing the location by the unaware (of your intentions). Be careful!

01-12-2017, 08:44 PM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
It is interesting to see the places often missed from the public view... and as much as I have that sentiment, I've taken a few of these before too.

However, I also think hanging out behind buildings, taking photos of the backdoors and windows might also be perceived as casing the location by the unaware (of your intentions). Be careful!
In this case, it's a public road So I don't think anyone's concerned. But I agree, if it was just a private road, I wouldn't go in. It's common in GA, other small downtown areas are like that as well. Too bad there's not a lot of them that I can get to during lunch time...
01-14-2017, 05:33 PM   #6
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
In this case, it's a public road So I don't think anyone's concerned. But I agree, if it was just a private road, I wouldn't go in. It's common in GA, other small downtown areas are like that as well. Too bad there's not a lot of them that I can get to during lunch time...
I was once walking in a field, behind the line of stores along a highway.. long field behind the whole storefronts. Taking photos from the PoV of being the buildings (since I never get to see that view). I was quite a far ways away from convenience store but I noticed a guy watching me from the back of the building.

Didn't realize it until now that he probably was concerned I was up to no good. I was watching HIM because I thought HE was up to no good.
01-14-2017, 05:44 PM   #7
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The first one definitely has that feel to it. Always love to see cars parked in front of no parking signs...

01-18-2017, 09:48 AM   #8
smf
Pentaxian

Good work.
Have you considered a project in which you photograph murals, including the fox?
Best wishes,
01-18-2017, 09:59 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice ones, CR. You definitely captured "the look" in the first shot.
01-18-2017, 02:47 PM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by smf Quote
Good work.
Have you considered a project in which you photograph murals, including the fox?
Best wishes,
No, I haven't... there's these two that I know of within a reasonable distance. More would probably require some planned trips, which with 3 kids and lots of extra curricular activities, might not be possible right now...

I did consider a "night" series since I drive about an hour home from work, when it's already dark... haven't been really happy with the results but might still continue pursuing that. We'll see. Any project has to be something around the areas I already go to...

In the meantime, here's a couple pictures of the "Fox building":

And this is the other one I was talking about. This one's harder to photograph as there's trash cans and other unsightly things just outside the borders of this pic:

QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
Nice ones, CR. You definitely captured "the look" in the first shot.
Thank you Paul