Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-04-2008, 03:35 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Process - from sow's ear to silk purse

I struggle with process a lot. Lately I seem to be trying to improve my shots with Photo Shop, and this one is no exception. Taken just outside the village of Kagawong on Manitoulin Island with the K10D and the 50mm f1.4.

I liked the shot but noticed all kinds of 'flaws' in original. Please tell me if I am going in the right direction or have I missed the mark.

I cropped a bit tighter to remove the car on the left, cloned out the power lines, greened up the dead grass in the foreground and bumped up the saturation a bit overall. What else could/should I do to improve shots like these? Is it even worth the effort?

(original)

(altered)

08-04-2008, 11:15 AM   #2

Photos: Albums
Well, there's a reason for the saying "Can't turn a sow's ear into a silk purse". Some images are just not worth "fixing". My best suggestions to you for this image:

1) Re-shoot. Make sure to get the whole lightpole in the image. Try to shoot at a time when the light is better - dusk or dawn. Avoid having vehicles on the road if possible. Consider what you are trying to show with the image.
2) Don't oversaturate. The green grass in the edited image above is a bit unnatural looking. The red is a bit much too.

Keep working at it!

Mike
08-04-2008, 03:55 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks Mike. That's what I need to hear.
08-06-2008, 07:57 PM   #4
Forum Member

I think the revision was a definite improvement, but I have to agree that the shot itself may not have been worth the effort. (Cloning would be LOTS of effort for a clutz like me!)

I'd personally like more shots of that lamp post!