Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-30-2017, 04:56 PM   #1

Real estate photo
Lens: DA 12-24 Camera: K-50 

I was just invited to take a couple photos for a real estate listing. As this is my first attempt at such an endeavor, I'd welcome any feedback from you folks.

This was shot with my K-50 and newly-acquired 12-24 lens. I applied a perspective correction, blended in a lighter exposure of the hangar and illuminated windows from a later shot, faked a burnt-out light, and cloned out some garage junk. What else could I have done, and what could have been done differently? Thanks.

Last edited by Will in Seattle; 01-30-2017 at 09:35 PM.
01-30-2017, 08:13 PM   #2
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Not that I ever did real estate photo's, but:
-- I would crop out most of the foreground (drive way) as the house looks small otherwise. (Fill the screen more w/ the house.)
-- Also suggest increasing the contrast--is very low/makes it less inviting.

For the future--I would try placing the camera closer to the building.There would be some perspective bending of straight lines, but the house would look more looming/larger.

Last edited by dms; 01-30-2017 at 08:19 PM.
01-30-2017, 10:16 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
wow, one's own personal aircraft hangar!

Perhaps warm up the color temperature and pump up the vibrance/saturation for a bit more pop.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo 
01-31-2017, 09:38 PM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

You did a good job of blending interior and exterior details.

I like the rough edit @caliscouser did above. In addition to the fixes they listed, the crop helps hide some of the gray sky. Maybe the sky could be further fixed by boosting the blue channel in the upper part of the image.

Some homebuyers are overly picky about their lawns. Darkening the green channel in the lower half of the image might help with potential buyers who like a dark-green overly-fertilized lawn.

01-31-2017, 10:33 PM   #5

Photos: Gallery | Albums
MLS rules may apply:

Will:

My girlfriend does real estate photography professionally, and I have learned that if you are going to post your pics to an MLS site (or such) you should check the site to see how much you can change it post. Some of them can have a rather narrow view of removing things from a photo. Of course the changes you made would be hard to detect, especially because they usually severely limit the size of the jpeg files you can upload.
02-01-2017, 01:28 AM   #6

Original Poster
Thank you all for the ideas. I was hesitant to warm the color temp as the paint color of a house seemed to me like a place to aim for accuracy, but I do think the subtle warming looks nice. And it definitely looks better with more contrast. I'll try darkening the lawn as well (and perhaps evening out the tonality) - I can see how that would look more inviting.

I appreciate the concern, Brooke. This was for a family member who has paid me in many ways over the years, which of course is my way of saying "no." I'm calling it a portfolio builder.

And thanks for the tip SciFiGuy - that makes sense, and I probably wouldn't have thought to look. The stuff I "disappeared" was all removable: bags of fertilizer, pallets, etc., but I suppose it would be better to learn the rules than simply invent justifications. Thanks.
02-01-2017, 02:01 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Will in Seattle Quote
The stuff I "disappeared" was all removable: bags of fertilizer, pallets, etc., but I suppose it would be better to learn the rules than simply invent justifications. Thanks.
I am also investigating real estate photography. I think you are OK with fixing those types of temporary or transient items, but not removing cracks in foundations, painting patches on wall, or removing utility lines and other fundamental aspects of the property. The selling agent is normally the one who preps the location for photography, and should relocate pallets and junk out of view. Generally you will shoot as-is, where-is.