Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-02-2017, 04:56 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Please Pick Your Favorite of These Photos
Camera: K-5 

Please pick your favorite out of these photos. And feel free to be brutal about what you think. I know this type of photography is not to everyone's liking but I would be interested in knowing if you are drawn to any of the photos, do they tell a story? Do you get a sense of place? Thank you very much!

Last edited by sealonsf; 02-02-2017 at 06:27 PM.
02-02-2017, 10:11 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I'd keep 1 and 5. Others don't really do anything for me.
02-02-2017, 11:04 PM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

I like almost all of them but as SpecialK said, 1 and 5 are the most interesting to me too. I would increases brightness and color saturation a lot more than you currently has. Hope you don’t mind I edit it to the way I like. see them here.

It looks like you use DA40 for #5 at f9. I don’t have da40 but it’s interesting to see no starburst even using f9. I used to have FA35, and starburst is guarantee after f8. IMO, it will be a lot more interesting if you can get starbursts from the 4 lamps in the image.

7, 6, and 4 are not bad if you boost up light and color saturation.
1, 4, 5, 7, 6 tell story and give me a sense of place to me.

Last edited by pakinjapan; 02-02-2017 at 11:31 PM.
02-03-2017, 07:54 AM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

4 and 5 give a bit of feel to your location, less sterile than pictures of houses. I do like the mood of 1 and the bird in 2.

02-03-2017, 08:55 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Definitely 1 and 5, though the last one too has lots of potential! Nice homely shot.
02-03-2017, 09:45 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks everyone. This is exactly what I was hoping for. It's difficult for me to judge my own work. I do like #1, but I also like #3, which doesn't seem to grab anyone else. I'll work some more on the post processing. Anyone else? Even if you don't comment, I'd be curious which one you like best. Thanks again.
02-03-2017, 09:52 AM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I Love #5: the low angle of the camera peeking over the grass; the layering of grass, court, buildings, hills, & sky; the dynamism of the lone players in the quiet dusk scenery; the contrasting colors of grass, alpenglow, courtlights, & sky; and even the bit of tree in the upper left that frames the image.

#1 is good but would have been so much better by moving the camera down and to the right pointing a little more to the right to place the sign in the center of triangular space defined by the banister and to remove the shrub in the lower left.

02-03-2017, 12:12 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I did some more processing with these 2:

2. Cropped this one a bit - don't know if that was a good or bad ide

02-03-2017, 01:09 PM   #9

No need to crop the basketball court. Its fine IMO.......the indigo atmosphere is a a little over powering IMO.
02-03-2017, 02:39 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BATMON Quote
No need to crop the basketball court. Its fine IMO.......the indigo atmosphere is a a little over powering IMO.
Thanks. I don't disagree about the indigo. I was having difficulty getting that right and my patience wore out. Maybe I'll go back to it again later.
02-03-2017, 09:15 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I like the first one, it's my favorite. I also like the fifth, although the branch in the upper-left corner bugs me.

I kinda like the last one, because I have a thing for old Corolla wagons.
02-03-2017, 11:09 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sealonsf Quote
And feel free to be brutal about what you think.
Hi

I hate to do this, but you ask for it. I want to be brutal as nicely as I can.

I don't like any of them, I am really really sorry. None of the pictures have any substance behind it. The only one I could live with is No.5, have you considered a light crop and colour correction ? (see sample).

No.2 looks like a photograph which was shot accidentally when you put the camera into your pocket.

No.4 is dominated by black trees in the foreground and what is left of the motive is drowned out by it.

The rest of the pictures are muddy in colour and lack an interesting motive and perhaps need explanatory notes to justify its existence and then it would only be of interest for those who are associated with the story, in other words not for general consumption.

I am a travel photographer and all my shots aim to make people say "I need/want to go there", so I know I need to produce images with motives which are interesting, different from the rest and say something in any language.

I hope we can stay friends.

Cheers

Last edited by Schraubstock; 04-03-2017 at 03:12 AM.
02-04-2017, 12:10 PM - 1 Like   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote

I hate to do this, but you ask for it. I want to be brutal as nicely as I can.

No.2 looks like a photograph which was shot accidentally when you put the camera into your pocket.

The rest of the pictures are muddy in colour and lack an interesting motive and perhaps need explanatory notes to justify its existence and then it would only be of interest for those who are associated with the story, in other words not for general consumption.

I am a travel photographer and all my shots aim to make people say "I need/want to go there", so I know I need to produce images with motives which are interesting, different from the rest and say something in any language.
I asked for it - no problem. These photos are not meant to entice someone to go here - it was a specific request that I was trying to fulfill for a not very "fashionable" neighborhood - you're not supposed to want to go there. It's not travel photography. I personally don't like the yellow tint you suggested for the basketball shot but thanks for the thought. I quite like the bird street photograph (#2) and like the composition, but as I said, I know this isn't everyone's cup of tea and I seem to be just about the only one who likes it - fair enough. Thanks for commenting.
02-05-2017, 02:46 PM   #14
Veteran Member

One and five. I think five better answers 'affirmative' your sense of place and tell a story queries. It feels like I was wandering around the neighbourhood and spied a dusk basketball scene - I can almost hear the insects buzzing around and feel the temperature dropping. Of the edits, I prefer the version in your original post, the blues and oranges play off each other well, but I think your edit in post 8 was too extreme (personal view of course).

I really like the different power line reflections in the windows of #7, it's like a mini series of abstract photos. Not a fan of the cars or overall tone of this one though.