Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
02-05-2017, 02:26 PM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Eggs - can't pick one
Lens: dfa100mm Camera: k5iis Photo Location: kitchen ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/125s Aperture: F8 

I'm having a moment of indecision. The theme was 'eggs' and I figured to demonstrate how chocolate Easter eggs are made. I'm having trouble picking which one will end up in a projected slideshow, so I'll take any input, even a straight selection of your favorite or even least favorite.

The top left was what I initially envisioned, one getting coated with a couple more in waiting. I'm thinking the clean eggs might be too subtle on a projector I have no control over. So I'm leaning towards the bottom left, with the chocolate covering process more complete, and an assembly line feel.

The top right is pretty much right out, I don't like the balance. But I did like the chocolate stream I managed to capture on the middle egg so I knocked up a quick composite on the bottom right, which has some appeal but loses the assembly line, left to right sort of flow.

Some technical nits - I wanted to keep the ISO low as I figured I might be doing a bit of finagling with the highlights. I also wanted to keep the flash power as low as possible so I could fire off multiple bursts as the chocolate poured so settled on f/8. This was a touch wide, the chocolate on the ground is getting out of focus (not so visible at this small size). Memo to self, get a means to gang up flashes inside the softbox. There's also a seam that needs cleaning up on the background (the floor is a plastic cutting board, the background is white paper).

02-05-2017, 11:15 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Spot on about the projector. Unless the operator is switched on the the photo settings rather than presentation settings, it will blow out. Even if the operator gets it right you will have no control as you say. As for which one, I vote bottom right, mainly because the muddle egg is not completely covered.
02-06-2017, 09:35 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the feedback Bruce!

I ended up going with the bottom left, partly due to having some satisfaction of it being a single shot and not a composite. But I do agree that having a gap in the coverage of the middle egg is more interesting.

Here's a composite that keeps that hole in the coverage and just one stream of chocolate.

02-06-2017, 01:31 PM   #4
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by BrianR Quote
I ended up going with the bottom left
+1 aye me too, I just preferred the composition this image to the others.

02-08-2017, 06:00 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
+1 aye me too, I just preferred the composition this image to the others.
I appreciate the feedback Kerrowdown