Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-06-2017, 10:11 AM - 1 Like   #1

first attempt
Lens: 18-135 mm Camera: Pentax K-70 ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/320s Aperture: F6.3 

Hi
I am new into photography. I don't know much technicalities about photography yet but I am learning. I've recently bought Pentax K 70 and these are the very first keepers from a lot of shots. need your feedback and suggestions to become a professional photographer.
P.S It took me a lot courage to post my pictures online.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-70  Photo 
02-06-2017, 11:12 AM - 1 Like   #2
UZ!

Original Poster
another one
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-70  Photo 
02-06-2017, 11:20 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Great start, beautiful photos, congratulations and thanks for posting!
02-06-2017, 02:48 PM   #4
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Welcome to the forums @UZ!

Thanks for sharing the photos. Yes I find it daunting too with so many excellent photographers here. But it's for all of us, whatever our level of experience.

These are very good. Each is well composed, focus is right, exposure is good.

With the first one, the white flower in focus just looks just very slightly over-exposed (on my computer anyway). If you are shooting in RAW, you can reduce the highlights just a little in post-processing. Whether or not you shoot RAW (but particularly if you shoot jpg only), try exposure bracketing when you shoot, with increments of 0.5EV or 0.7EV. When you hold down the shutter, the camera will take shots at different exposures. Often the one that is slightly under-exposed will be more appealing. After a while you will feel more confident about adjusting the exposure yourself.

The key is to mix it up and keep trying new things.

02-06-2017, 03:18 PM   #5
Forum Member

Hi!

Congrats on your purchase - great camera, lots of possibilities!
Regarding your shots. Currently I am looking at them on a not so great screen so I might be slightly off, but here goes.

1) The flower-shot... The object is excellent, the exposure is not. The main subject is the flower itself - it looks like it should be bluish but instead appears a bit washed out. I suppose what has happened here is that you have used either automatic mode or chose evaluative (matrix) metering. As you can see - the brown background is very obvious and the green leaves are also quite light (overexposed). So you first should master correct metering in various scenarios . I would suggest to learn spot metering and get used to using exposure lock - makes the life easier. Also - it is best to slightly underexpose - with modern sensors data from shadows can be recovered quite successfully whereas overexposed parts are just gone. So as the main subject was flower itself - the exposure should have been based on it. Other thing - as the main subject is the center of the picture (the flower part) - there is a lot of distraction - unnecessary information - such as the brown background and too many green leaves. I am suggesting a tighter crop - showing more of a flower and less of surroundings - especially with centered composition.
2) The landscape - The tint seems off - too purplish-bluish - doesn't look natural. Other than that - maybe the shore-line could have stretched till the middle of the frame - but again it is more of a personal preference. But as you want suggestions - here is one regarding landscapes - learn what is the golden hour!
02-07-2017, 04:34 AM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

First of all your instincts are good and that's more than half the battle at this point. I like where you are going with these shots. The exact technique will come in time.

The flower shot is a bit too even in luminosity (tone or light). Use the background and leaves to frame the main subject, the flowers, like this.
Of course this takes some skill in post processing but that too will come in time.

All in all well done.

Last edited by wildman; 02-17-2017 at 05:01 AM.
02-07-2017, 05:17 AM   #7
UZ!

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wildman Quote
First of all your instincts are good and that's more than half the battle at this point. I like where you are going with these shots. The exact technique will come in time.

The flower shot is a bit too even in luminosity (tone or light). Use the background and leaves to frame the main subject, the flowers, like this.
Of course this takes some skill in post processing but that too will come in time.

All in all well done.
Thank you. much appreciated.
02-07-2017, 05:19 AM   #8
UZ!

Original Poster
Thanks to all of you. Much appreciated. learned a couple of things. was a right decision to post my pictures