Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-10-2017, 07:47 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Quarry

Yesterday I snapped these photos of an interesting quarry nearby. I think a circular polarizing filter could have helped to eek out the fine details of the snow, would love to get some feedback on them.

02-10-2017, 08:25 AM   #2

Photos: Albums
...on my screen looks good the snow...
02-10-2017, 11:32 AM   #3
Pentaxian

A lot depends on how these images will be viewed. At the low resolution of the links they don't look great. Full screen on Flickr looks better.

#1: Too much blue sky at the top. May have worked as an abstract - blue top and white bottom - but all those bare trees at the cliff base look messy and distracting.

#2: I like the right edge. It has interesting detail in the rocks and vertical lines in the snow, with fewer bare trees. Try a crop keeping around 1/3 of this image, maybe a square crop from the lower-right corner, with or without sky visible.

#3: This is my favorite. The dip in the foreground is matched by the taller trees in the background. The sky color looks off, grayish rather than blue; maybe increase saturation, adjust WB, or do a B&W conversion. The vertical twig at the lower right is a distraction that could be erased or cropped. There's also a horizontal shadow at that corner that will go away with a minor crop.

#4: The B&W is interesting and might be an improvement on #1, but the bare trees at the base of the cliff remain an issue.
02-10-2017, 12:36 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
A lot depends on how these images will be viewed. At the low resolution of the links they don't look great. Full screen on Flickr looks better.

#1: Too much blue sky at the top. May have worked as an abstract - blue top and white bottom - but all those bare trees at the cliff base look messy and distracting.

#2: I like the right edge. It has interesting detail in the rocks and vertical lines in the snow, with fewer bare trees. Try a crop keeping around 1/3 of this image, maybe a square crop from the lower-right corner, with or without sky visible.

#3: This is my favorite. The dip in the foreground is matched by the taller trees in the background. The sky color looks off, grayish rather than blue; maybe increase saturation, adjust WB, or do a B&W conversion. The vertical twig at the lower right is a distraction that could be erased or cropped. There's also a horizontal shadow at that corner that will go away with a minor crop.

#4: The B&W is interesting and might be an improvement on #1, but the bare trees at the base of the cliff remain an issue.
Thanks for the thorough critique @deadjohn! I really appreciate it. I agree with everything you've written here, I'll keep it in mind if I ever shoot at this location again.

02-10-2017, 01:43 PM   #5
Forum Member

Location seems interesting. #2 and #3 for me. But this place would look a lot different under evening sun. I also imagine, that a night shot with the starry night above would make the perception of this quarry completely different - more artsy.
02-10-2017, 01:46 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi

I prefer #2, less sky. To give the snow a boost I would increase the contrast slightly. Boost the highlights and darken the shadows. Go easy on it though. Also a touch of sharpening helps to bring out details.
02-10-2017, 01:51 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by madphys Quote
Location seems interesting. #2 and #3 for me. But this place would look a lot different under evening sun. I also imagine, that a night shot with the starry night above would make the perception of this quarry completely different - more artsy.
Indeed, I could likely get a pretty interesting star trail happening here, if I could ever get out there after dark! It's also possible I could get myself hassled by a quarry worker, but that's another issue all together. :P I was surprised it was still in use, it looks fairly abandoned. I shot these photos with my dog on leash (he was traveling with me) - the site is accessible from a 40 foot driveway. I noticed it was plowed, but even walking in it didn't look like anything was going on there. A minute or two after I'd finished shooting and was back at the car a large dump truck rolled in, I was happy enough to have been out of the way by then.

I found these really tested my meager post processing skills. I'm not very good at selective dodge and burn, which I think could have really helped to bring out the texture of the hills and keep the sky from getting overcooked.

02-13-2017, 08:04 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I took another go at this photo, cropping out the one tree on the right and using a neutral density filter to lighten the skyline. Too bad those cedars are so gray, but... it's just this time of year around here.