Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-17-2017, 08:45 PM   #1

Happy Doggo
Lens: SMC Pentax-M 50mm f/1.7 Camera: Pentax K-30 Photo Location: planet earth ISO: 800 Shutter Speed: 1/125s 

So, tell it to me straight. What do you guys think? Keep in mind, this is my first real camera, and I'm new at this. I'm still learning the camera and it was really cloudy out, but I liked the result. Tell me what I'm doing wrong:

Attached Images

Last edited by Vicioustuna2012; 02-17-2017 at 11:54 PM.
02-18-2017, 03:06 AM   #2
Veteran Member

It's a sweet photo! Colours are good, composition is nice, focus is on the eyes (ideally, the dog would be looking at the camera, but I know how hard that is). Only thing is, it seems a little soft. Was the lens at its widest aperture? I dunno if that lens tends to be soft wide open, but that's certainly what it seems like. Stopping down a bit and decreasing your shutter speed might help. For a portrait like this, 1/60s is a safe slowest shutter speed, although you could probably go even a bit slower.
02-18-2017, 08:54 AM   #3

Photos: Gallery
I think the Green is a bit distracting. I agree with Zoe on the focus slightly off and a bit of a soft look.

To fix the green issue for me, I just made a real quick adjustment to saturation on green in lightroom and added a vignette to direct the focus to the dog rather than the background

02-18-2017, 10:48 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bakerking31 Quote
I think the Green is a bit distracting. I agree with Zoe on the focus slightly off and a bit of a soft look.

To fix the green issue for me, I just made a real quick adjustment to saturation on green in lightroom and added a vignette to direct the focus to the dog rather than the background
Thanks! Yea, I agree the focus was soft. Aperture was wide open due to light (very cloudy late afternoon). This lens is sharpest around 5.6 to 8 in my humble opinion, and it's a manual focus, so my skills are probably lacking as well. I had to turn up the clarity quite a bit to make it look sharper.

I agree on the green, and a vignette helps nicely! Honestly i was just a little dazzled by the beautiful green, and decided to keep it, but it does distract from the subject. Thanks for your input.

02-18-2017, 02:17 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I like it

how could anyone notice any technical failing when your beast is so handsome

if you want the dog to look at the camera put a treat on the hot shoe
though a couple of my dogs would have eaten the camera...ymmv
02-18-2017, 04:01 PM   #6

Good photo. I prefer the original with the green and actually like that the dog is not looking at the camera.
02-18-2017, 09:23 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ccc_ Quote
I like it

how could anyone notice any technical failing when your beast is so handsome

if you want the dog to look at the camera put a treat on the hot shoe
though a couple of my dogs would have eaten the camera...ymmv
I actually have one of him looking at the camera, but it's just a little more out of focus. I actually like it more, though. Check it out, and tell me what you think:

Last edited by Vicioustuna2012; 02-19-2017 at 11:39 PM.
02-19-2017, 06:15 AM   #8
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Its shots like this when you find out just how long a dogs nose really is, in terms of focus/depth of field.

A wee trick for you... stand further back (bigger dof) and then crop in on the image in PP.

02-19-2017, 03:26 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Its shots like this when you find out just how long a dogs nose really is, in terms of focus/depth of field.

A wee trick for you... stand further back (bigger dof) and then crop in on the image in PP.
Good point. I hate cropping unless I absolutely have to since my k-30 is only 16.4MP. I cannot wait until I can afford something with 20+...or maybe a full frame sensor. HA! I'll never have the money for that :sobbing hysterically: