Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-23-2017, 06:23 AM - 2 Likes   #1

Sunrise ( First attempt)
Lens: 18-135 mm Camera: Pentax K-70 ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/640s Aperture: F8 

hi all,
I've just bought my first DSLR Pentax K-70. Here is my first attempt at sunrise shot with my Pentax. posting it for your techincal feed back about how this photo could be improved while taking the shot and in post processing

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-70  Photo 
04-03-2017, 09:39 AM - 1 Like   #2

I would have composed so that the sun is not behind the tree. Rather, the tree leads the eye to the sun as it is rising.

It's a good first try, and the exposure is pretty good.
07-09-2018, 03:50 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by UZ! Quote
hi all,
I've just bought my first DSLR Pentax K-70. Here is my first attempt at sunrise shot with my Pentax. posting it for your techincal feed back about how this photo could be improved while taking the shot and in post processing
The sun is very high on the horizon - so a sunrise?
Ok ;-) I surgest you find another spot to shoot from. It is good to have a tree or a person, a house etc. in the front - but here you almost hid the sun.
07-09-2018, 05:25 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sunrise and sunsets are magical events to chase. To get it right there are many factors that you can control and one very important one that you can not control.
The things YOU can control.....
Location: Research and seek out interesting places in advance, avoid things like power lines, poles etc if you can. I prefer landscape settings, but that may not be possible for you. Beware clutter and distractions....the tree here is such a distraction. If you are in an urban setting be doubly aware of distractions, things that detract from the focal point of your shot.
Timing: ideally set yourself up 30 min or so before sunrise. As sun rises don't forget to look behind you, look for what is being illuminated.
Technique: underexpose, preserve detail, multiple exposures if unsure. Experiment with filters, I'm not a big fan, but in some cases they work really well.
The thing you can not control:
The weather. You will not be the first photographer to ever get up in the dark, stumble around finding your way to your chosen site only to be greeted by a cloud bank or grey drizzly skies....or a fizz. Its called character building.

Goodluck.

07-14-2018, 09:22 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Less tree, more sun :-)
07-28-2018, 12:08 AM   #6
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
See.... thing is... I kind of like the tree in the foreground. I love sunsets and sunrises, and sometimes, I want the sun behind something as opposed to out in the open by itself. So then what I do is try to create use the sun in a different way. For instance, composing the image so the sun is there, but not entirely the focal point. But at that point, you have to make sure that the rest of the scenery is composed to enough to be interesting.

Couple examples ....