Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
03-01-2017, 04:56 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The texture: yes or no?
Lens: helios44K-4 Camera: K-1 

Learning "painting" in Elements. I have to admit that I'm kind of getting addicted to texture layers . Maybe, it's not a good idea?

03-01-2017, 08:53 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Personally I think this particular texture does not work well. What if you used an oil paint type texture?

Regards,
03-01-2017, 09:21 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Like traditional canvas? Maybe that bothers me, this kind of "canvas" makes it look "cheap", like crafty print on cardboard.
03-02-2017, 02:56 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Not my area of expertise. I am not against the idea, in fact I think it has possibilities. I do think the texture should be more subtle, more in the background. I would experiment with masking and blend mods in elements. The bit that bothers me most is just above here eyes. It looks to me as if the texture is applied on the face rather than the face painted on a textured background.

All the best

03-02-2017, 03:17 AM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Bruce Clark Quote
. It looks to me as if the texture is applied on the face rather than the face painted on a textured background.

All the best
But that's the idea these days - one or more textures across the subject as well.

03-02-2017, 06:39 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bruce Clark Quote
Not my area of expertise. I am not against the idea, in fact I think it has possibilities. I do think the texture should be more subtle, more in the background. I would experiment with masking and blend mods in elements.
Blending textures- I'm not there yet. It's more difficult than blending pictures, imo. Unfortunately there are no recipes for this kind of styles, no tutorials, "painters" usually keep own techniques for themselves, and share only the basics on youtube, or books.

---------- Post added 03-02-17 at 06:40 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
But that's the idea these days - one or more textures across the subject as well.
I see the potential for making some "special" photobooks.
03-02-2017, 07:50 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by micromacro Quote
Blending textures- I'm not there yet. It's more difficult than blending pictures, imo. Unfortunately there are no recipes for this kind of styles, no tutorials, "painters" usually keep own techniques for themselves, and share only the basics on youtube, or books.

---------- Post added 03-02-17 at 06:40 AM ----------

I see the potential for making some "special" photobooks.
you might look at these...

Get Creative With Texture Blending – ON1, Inc.
Photomorphis :: The Easy Way To Get Started with Textures.
The Art of the Blend, by Nicole S. Young (eBook, Textures, & Video Tutorials) - Nicolesy Store

I liked your blend

I do closeups of flowers for calendars and wallpapers using blended art and textures amongst other things
it is a nice skill to have tucked away
I find I can add drama and/or interest to some rather mundane shots using textures

as you just realized the secret is finding people who like the results

03-02-2017, 09:16 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ccc_ Quote

Get Creative With Texture Blending – ON1, Inc.
Photomorphis :: The Easy Way To Get Started with Textures.
The Art of the Blend, by Nicole S. Young (eBook, Textures, & Video Tutorials) - Nicolesy Store

I do closeups of flowers for calendars and wallpapers using blended art and textures amongst other things
it is a nice skill to have tucked away
I find I can add drama and/or interest to some rather mundane shots using textures

as you just realized the secret is finding people who like the results
Thank you, I've been using wrong keywords in searching, ending up mostly with the basics, or long "guru" videos (OMG, they love to talk! ), which is quite a waste of time. So, I started improvising on my own with little skills. It's kind of fascinating to compose photo with "painting", I'm so lazy to paint on canvas these days, and this way kind of the composition of both arts.

This picture may "talk" with the proper text font added, like the cover of the book, but itself, yes, I'm not happy with it. But it's great for practicing, I picked it from the trash, it had ugly yellow tint because of gold reflector, and I clipped highlights on her arm (again, because of that reflector at the last moment, I did not have time to change the setting shooting manually).
Photoshop is amazing for recovering not perfect files.
03-02-2017, 09:41 AM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

post processing can give an image a second life or just make it something else

the bluebird was a long handheld shot that needed something so I "rotoscoped" it

the jellyfish got a texture...just because

the dogs and I just got back from our morning constitutional
I was thinking along the way...almost always a bad sign

i'm assuming you use layers to add your textures

in this particular case I pull up your .psd and blur the texture...seeing if that works better for you
if it does I would try adding a vignette to bring out the subject of your image

the sharpness was always there but the pop came while playing with different blend modes after I added the lens flare texture

good luck and have fun!
Attached Images

View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo 

Last edited by ccc_; 03-02-2017 at 10:32 AM.
03-02-2017, 09:54 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Nice. The bird with lighter background can be a book illustration, imo.

And the jellyfish is amazing. I always wonder, how people can get such "clean" and "glossy" image? It's not about sharpness only.
03-02-2017, 12:21 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I've been living in dark! There are so much free textures online.
This one is exactly what I've been looking for. Proper keywords are important

aqueous-sun-textures's DeviantArt gallery
03-02-2017, 12:39 PM   #12
Veteran Member

textures are available all over the net

just be aware that some of the sites are a little sketchy (industrial strength AV is required)

that said deviantart has some amazing artists making their work available

you might also look at the brushes and shapes that are there and make your own textures as well

I had thousands of textures at one point
but I found I was hoarding more than producing
finally saying enough was enough

just a cautionary tale
03-02-2017, 03:09 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You could do canvas, or add oil painting brush strokes, for instance take the image and make it into a tile mosaic. Really, the options are quite unlimited now! I just think the canvas does not add to this image.

03-02-2017, 03:19 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigDave Quote
You could do canvas, or add oil painting brush strokes, for instance take the image and make it into a tile mosaic. Really, the options are quite unlimited now! I just think the canvas does not add to this image.
I've played with mosaic filters, and artistic filters, but it does not give the result I would like. Of course, I don't have skills yet to combine filters with textures, etc. That's the huge area to explore. Brush strokes are interesting for sure. Here is another version of this picture, I used pencil brushes. The model preferred this one, not the textured. I combined two color layers, and erased "patterns" with brush strokes.

---------- Post added 03-02-17 at 03:22 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by ccc_ Quote
textures are available all over the net

just be aware that some of the sites are a little sketchy (industrial strength AV is required)

that said deviantart has some amazing artists making their work available

you might also look at the brushes and shapes that are there and make your own textures as well
Deviantart is awesome!
Yes, I saw the brushes. It's also interesting to make own textures. And yes, hoarding is easy
That's why I'm doing a deep cleaning of all my pictures, my LR catalogs. It's educational as well to see how much garbage I collected.
03-02-2017, 03:24 PM   #15
Veteran Member

nobody likes their work messed with
I did anyway...apologies
Attached Images