Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-05-2017, 04:27 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Post Processing Advice?
Lens: DA 20-40 ltd Camera: K5ii Photo Location: Hughes County, Oklahoma, USA ISO: 80 Shutter Speed: 1/3s Aperture: F16 

I'd love a do-over on this one, but I'm not likely to get one, so I'm going to open it up for any and all advice and critique for what might make it better at this point.

03-05-2017, 08:03 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by troika Quote
I'd love a do-over on this one, but I'm not likely to get one,
Hi
The problem of course is, as you already know, to do a meaningful make-over on a heavily compromised JPG is next to impossible. All you ever can expect is a light correction or if you go harder at it it will then only become an indication or guide of what is possible.

Still as it is, I try to indicate what I thing can be improved upon. The image is underexposed but of course that in itself is not a bad thing with shots like these because in RAW it gives you a good chance to recover shadow areas. With this in mind I lifted the whole picture out of the shadows. Particularly I did not like the bare tree branches sticking out over the dark treeline. Because there is no bottom part of the tree visible the bare branches look dislocated and strong against the bright sky. This is not a good look.

Generally speaking this is a simple motive, as a result there are few possibilities to dramatically improving the photo.

I hope I have been of help.

Cheers

Last edited by Schraubstock; 04-03-2017 at 03:13 AM.
03-05-2017, 08:13 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
You did in fact improve it, though. I do have the RAW file, for what it's worth. Is it just a matter of increasing the exposure?

Thank you!
03-05-2017, 08:56 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Quick PP using phone.
Raw should look quite good.
RONC

Attached Images

03-05-2017, 11:37 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by troika Quote
Is it just a matter of increasing the exposure?
No.
I used Oleneo PhotoEngine image editing software to adjust Exposure, Brightness, Contrast and Saturation

---------- Post added 06-03-17 at 05:39 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by rechmbrs Quote
Quick PP using phone
I have no idea which Phone or APP you used but the result is a good example why Smart Phone image manipulation (in this case) is pretty much useless.
03-05-2017, 11:59 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks for your help. This is a location that is leaving the family and I'd like to print this for my mom, so I want to make as much of it as possible.
03-06-2017, 06:57 AM   #7
Veteran Member

without knowing what you want to end up with I just ran your original jpeg through a dozen or so presets in on1 and got some nice images

so you have a good starting point

the most satisfying images came when the treeline was lightened and the detail brought out

notice how schraubstock's edit did just that

the least satisfying images were a result of global changes
painting changes in or using gradients worked the best for me

if you just took the picture, Oklahoma's trees will be grey and black, the grass will be almost a light straw (though I notice our grasses have more color than usual this year), the only grass with much color left is the bluestem (the bunchgrass)
that is what i'd shoot for

good luck

03-06-2017, 08:00 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote

I have no idea which Phone or APP you used but the result is a good example why Smart Phone image manipulation (in this case) is pretty much useless.
My attempt with phone was not one to go to printer but make point that there is much hiding in the darker areas. I'd process the RAW file on a PC/Mac and the image should be useful.

I agree on phone software but desktop doesn't fit in shirt pocket so could not use Photoshop while waiting for oil change. Too much Brylcream.

RONC
03-06-2017, 01:37 PM - 1 Like   #9
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Here's my take...
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
 Photo 
03-30-2017, 05:29 AM   #10

In photoshop, go into "Curves" and increase the exposure for the dark areas/shadows. You don't want to increase the exposure for everything because you will blow the highlights.

In my opinion, the first edit in the thread is best, but not quite enough.
03-30-2017, 06:52 AM   #11
Veteran Member

................................?

Last edited by wildman; 04-06-2017 at 11:05 AM.
03-30-2017, 08:56 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Here is my current edit. I really appreciate all of the advice.

04-03-2017, 10:05 AM   #13
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This is just a quick PP using FastStone. I adjusted the curve, then added a little contrast.
Attached Images

04-03-2017, 10:56 AM - 1 Like   #14
Veteran Member

Essentially, what do you want this photo to be about? The sky? The field? The distant hills? The house and its surroundings?

If it's the house and its surroundings, then you've got to get some separation between the house and the hills--boost the blacks and shadows in raw and bring back some detail in the hills. Make the house "pop" a little.

I can't tell what that lighter strip is at the top of the hill, but I would try darkening that or cloning it out entirely as it draws my eye there.

Also, assuming again it's the house and its surroundings that are important to you, try a crop along the lines of 6x12 or 6x17 and then darken the sky to simulate a graduated ND filter.

And desaturate those orange tufts of grass in the field. My eye goes right to them.

From there, I would dodge and burn as necessary and experiment with a light vignette.

04-03-2017, 06:40 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi

I too had a go at this image in Lightroom. I could not do any better than what has already been demonstrated, so little point in posting my efforts. The limitations imposed by working on a compressed JPEG file leave little room for the vast possibilities that would be available from a quality RAW file. This issue is, as one reply states, what is you intent? That should guide your final edit. I believe the building is the critical element which should guide your global adjustments. The rest has to be handled in local adjustment tools. The technically tricky part in my opinion is the tree line, in particular the bare branches that protrude above it. As already demonstrated there are many outcomes possible, all are valid. Which way you go is your call. Good luck