Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-07-2017, 03:07 PM   #1

Modern architecture long exposure
Lens: Pentax 18-135 Camera: K5 Photo Location: Rotterdam, NL ISO: 320 Shutter Speed: Above 6s Aperture: F22 

Hi everyone,

I brought the tripod out for the first time in a while last night and this is of my favourite photos of the night. It's the market hall in Rotterdam, Netherlands.
I'd love to hear your opinions :-)

p.s I realise it's about time I cleaned the sensor(and/or lens)!

Chris

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
03-08-2017, 06:25 AM   #2

Photos: Albums
I find the flare too distracting. It could be limited by using wider aperture. You will loose the starburst, but I don't think the image would be any worse without it. In any case, F22 reduces sharpness of the picture, so avoid it if possible. Speaking of sharpness, image has pronounced JPEG artefacts. Are those form uplodaing?

It seems you used up all the 30 seconds. With wider aperture, you could reduce ISO to 100, thus limiting noise. If you have a lot of time on your hands, you could push the it down to, say, ISO 25, by taking multiple shots with ISO100 and averaging them. Fun example:

The image is too dark. I would increase the contrast and brighten it.

I think that what you tried to capture here was the glass interior. Get closer to it. I haven't seen the building, but the inside looks much more interesting than the exterior.
03-08-2017, 11:34 AM   #3

Original Poster
Hi Tranzistors and thanks for your feedback.

I thought someone might mention the flare, I don't have a lens hood and I was quite limted in where I could take the photo from. There were some unsightly trailers just out of frame to the left. To be clear, are you talking about the big obvious flare in the top left of the image, just above the building, or all the stuff in the bottom right, or both?

I have a similar image taken at f8, 6 seconds and 100 ISO, and I really couldn't see much difference in sharpness, slightly less noise, but barely noticable IMO (even zoomed right in). I've heard of certain apertures being sharper, but is the jury still out or is there compelling evidence (or even personal experience) that suggests one aperture is sharper than another?

I'm not sure what you mean by JPEG artefacts, but I took the photo in raw, then converted it.
As for the composition, I wanted to get all of the building in the shot. Next time I'll try on from closer, with just the interior.

Thanks very much for your input :-)

I might try another edit of the raw file from scratch, this one was done late at night when I was tired and probably in a rush to get to bed!

Chris
03-09-2017, 01:08 AM   #4

Photos: Albums
Hi Chris!

About the flare, I meant both of them. The top one can be erased form the picture easily (if you do edit it out, you can take out the blue light form the crane as well). If you don't have a lens hood, you can use your hand/jacket/body or any other item to block the light.

As for aperture and sharpness, I should have looked it up for 18-135 before speaking. Since it is not a particularly sharp to begin with (I have a 18-135 too), high f-stop number helps¹.

About artefacts, they appear, if converting to JPEG is done with low quality settings. But again, maybe the forum software compressed it to reduce file size. You can see the artefacts, if you zoom into windows.

Good luck!

--
1. A bit about f-stops and sharpness. When closing down the aperture, it increases and decreases the sharpness at the same time. Sharpness drops because of diffraction and no lens manufacturer can solve it. But the higher the f-stop, the more it hides the imperfections of the lens (in the extreme case of pin-hole cameras, you don't need any optics at all, since you have a tiny aperture). Therefore, if you have a sharp lens, like 35mm F/2.4, the peak sharpness is at F/4, while the 18-135mm at 24mm overall sharpness peaks at F/8. For your lens at 18mm the centre sharpness is at maximum at F/5.6, but the corners still benefit form F/11. Since here the subject is a building, overall sharpness is a priority, so the choice to close it down is a good one, but maybe not down to F/22, if F/11 is enough.

06-06-2018, 12:18 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPMR Quote
Hi everyone,

I brought the tripod out for the first time in a while last night and this is of my favourite photos of the night. It's the market hall in Rotterdam, Netherlands.

Chris
Quite a dynamic image! The only suggestion I have is to apply some perspective control to the front of the building. It has that "leaning back" feel to it now.
07-09-2018, 01:19 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hi everyone,

Chris
I think you have done a great job.
07-09-2018, 08:23 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice image Chris.
Good composition and interesting subject. I also like the starburst effects.Well done.

Things to try next time? I would try to capture this image just a little earlier in the day when there is still color in the sky. After sunset yes. I find the best cityscapes have color in the sky This would add balance to the image. I would also be prepared to sacrifice a little on starbursts and go with a f8 or f11 aperture thus reducing lens flare. You could also consider using a ND filter to really blur the cloud movement.

I really liked the fact that you named the building and its location. It shows respect!

Well done Mate!

08-05-2018, 07:05 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Hi everyone,

Chris
This is done very well!
10-01-2019, 07:42 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Hi everyone,

Chris
Like.
10-08-2019, 04:11 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi everyone,

Chris
Nice one

The picture maker you eager to vistit it as it does not reveall all , leaves room for imagination

A pitty there is a slight flair