Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-09-2008, 10:08 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Perfect flower.....it's silk!

Any comments for improvement would be appreciated, either for this exact shot or for similar in the future.

EXIF data:

Pentax K100D
f/14
1/60 second (handheld)
ISO 200
+2 EV
45 mm

Attached Images

Last edited by LeroyPK; 08-09-2008 at 10:18 PM. Reason: forgot to subscribe...duh!
08-10-2008, 08:59 PM   #2

Make sure you don't overexpose or underexpose your subject! Also, in this case, the edge of the table isn't doing a whole lot for me. IMHO it makes it look kind of home-made. If you were to get a tiny bit lower, the background would have been almost 100% black, and I think that would have looked a bit sharper. The lighting you used is pretty much overhead lighting, which usually gives a nice classy, elegant look to its subjects. Black backgrounds are also often used to create a nice classy, elegant look.

Keep shooting!
08-11-2008, 07:54 PM   #3
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Big I Quote
Make sure you don't overexpose or underexpose your subject! Also, in this case, the edge of the table isn't doing a whole lot for me. IMHO it makes it look kind of home-made. If you were to get a tiny bit lower, the background would have been almost 100% black, and I think that would have looked a bit sharper. The lighting you used is pretty much overhead lighting, which usually gives a nice classy, elegant look to its subjects. Black backgrounds are also often used to create a nice classy, elegant look.

Keep shooting!
Your comment about "homemade" is pretty close to the mark. I was 2nd shooting a wedding with a friend and there was a down moment so I tried to get something "out of the ordinary.

I feel your comments are all dead-on. If I relive this shoot, I will use a seamless backdrop rather than the white linen tablecloth at the reception hall. Thank you for the comment about the light. That's the part I like about the shot but couldn't put my finger on why.