Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-10-2008, 10:25 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Stairs and Chairs

This photo is pretty far from what it originally was. I was trying to use a doorway/opening as a frame. That ended up not working at all for various reasons. I think this might be just a small bit better if it was shot at ISO 200, and with at maybe F8 instead of the F5.6 it was shot at. The lightning is all natural, and my PP stuff was as far as I can remember just changing levels and cropping.

I would have liked to crop it with a little more on the right side, but a switch and some distracting lines made that just not quite work for me. The other option I see is keep the right side where it's cropped now, and stop the left to include the post which leaves just enough staircase to see where it ends. This to me draws a little more attention to the light switch though. The more I look at it the more I am liking this idea.

I feel like I could go on forever changing things with this. Is this normal?

08-10-2008, 03:03 PM   #2
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by Chriffer Quote
I feel like I could go on forever changing things with this. Is this normal?
Yes, quite normal. Sometimes you get a shot that looks great whatever way you crop it, sometime it takes a while to get the right crop and then sometimes, no matter what you do, you never quite get there. Then it's either you or the picture that is the problem and it's best to either take a break or, get a fresh perspective on it.
Personally, if I had been taking that shot I would probably have tried moving the one couch either parallel or at right angles to the stairs and moved the other couch so that it wasn't in shot.
Hope you don't mind, here's an idea I had for a crop. It may not be what you were looking for but I quite like the lines.
Gary

Last edited by Damn Brit; 10-03-2008 at 10:28 PM.
08-11-2008, 07:19 PM   #3
Forum Member

I find both couches distracting, myself. I am draw to the powerful parallel lines and the diagonal of the stairs. I'd find a crop using just those elements.
08-17-2008, 12:02 PM   #4
Veteran Member

[QUOTE][ find both couches distracting, myself. I am draw to the powerful parallel lines and the diagonal of the stairs. I'd find a crop using just those elements. /QUOTE]

I agree with this statement.. I would have cropped a little more then Gary did on the left side eliminating most if not all of the post. I do tend to over crop though and everytime I do its really up in the air weather the shot worked or not. Going to B&W worked well on this shot... JIMBO