Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
03-26-2017, 04:43 PM - 1 Like   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Good crop, bad crop?
Lens: DA* 300/4 Camera: K-3 II Photo Location: Ottawa, Canada Shutter Speed: 1/640s Aperture: F4.5 

I was shooting with the DA* 300. I didn't have time to move back to capture the entire deer in the FOV, so the legs were not included in the shot.

Is this 'crop' acceptable? Is the image strong enough to allow the missing feet to be ignored?

Thanks in advance for all comments.

- Craig

03-26-2017, 07:05 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Try cropping horizontally ending just at the end of the tail. Somehow the image seems more "finished" by losing the leg structure. Excellent capture.

Bob
03-26-2017, 07:33 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I agree with Romark. Far better to make it a deliberate crop rather than what could be construed as an oversight. Be careful of bits of stick protruding into the frame from below and maybe the right hand edge could be trimmed also.

A very nice image by the way the focus on the deer is superb.
03-26-2017, 08:54 PM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm hardly an expert, but I think your image is very nice as is. The snow-covered sticks at the bottom and sides give the image a sense of place. That said, it can't hurt to experiment with a crop as the others have suggested.

03-26-2017, 09:23 PM   #5
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
IMO the crop would be best at the front right leg joint (roughly a third of the distance between bottom of tail and current bottom of photo). That tends to make a more "stable" base and still show legs. And yes I think it works as a complete picture.
03-26-2017, 10:49 PM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

Well, it cries for portrait orientation, but it is nice as is.
03-27-2017, 05:02 AM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

Sometimes, the power of an image is not what's there, but what's NOT there. Imagination plays a big role in interpretation IMO. It's not necessary to show everything -- our minds can fill in what's missing, just like we fill in the tops of the trees and overcast, snowy sky without them being shown explicitly. The crop works because the composition works -- and we don't need to see the feet at all because we imagine the deer is standing is snow and not on something else.

I think it's a very nicely composed image, crop and all.

03-27-2017, 05:03 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thank you all for your suggestions, guidance, and kind comments. You have given me some ideas to play with.

I wonder if the deer would be game for a re-take... maybe not.

- Craig
03-28-2017, 12:40 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
It appears to follow the "rules" - as it is not on any of the joints, unlike If you move it to just below the tail. I'd like to see a tiny bit more space above the head if there is any in the original.
03-28-2017, 03:45 PM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
I was shooting with the DA* 300. I didn't have time to move back to capture the entire deer in the FOV, so the legs were not included in the shot.

Is this 'crop' acceptable? Is the image strong enough to allow the missing feet to be ignored?

- Craig

I like it 'as is'. The background tree trunks give you a pair of vertical brackets, the snowy twigs at the bottom give a sense of the ground she's standing on. Play with the crop suggestions and see what you think, but there's nothing wrong with your image right the way it is. In my opinion, of course
06-28-2018, 01:14 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

- Craig

I think you got a very nice picture. You took the chance.
You keep the rule of thirds - the deer is looking into, and not out of the picture and the subject stands out in colour with the background in a kind of B&W.
Very nice indeed ;-)
06-28-2018, 01:34 PM - 1 Like   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
@henrikpedersen33, Thank you for your generous comment! I did not have much time to take this shot, and in a moment the deer wandered away.

This winter image is great to see today -- we are heading into a week of very hot and humid weather here. The forecast calls for temperatures in the mid-30s with 'humidex' (which applies the effect of high humidity) in the mid-40s. Yikes.

-Craig
06-28-2018, 01:41 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

@henrikpedersen33, Thank you for your generous comment! I did not have much time to take this shot, and in a moment the deer wandered away.

This winter image is great to see today -- we are heading into a week of very hot and humid weather here. The forecast calls for temperatures in the mid-30s with 'humidex' (which applies the effect of high humidity) in the mid-40s. Yikes.

-Craig
My pleasure - (and I mean it!)
Here in Denmark the next week too calls for degrees up to 30. That is not my cup of tea!
06-28-2018, 02:04 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Leave it as it is! It's a great capture. It's all about the bum and expression! Cropping out the branches would make it lose its sense of place. It would look just like a deer placed over a b&w background.

Gesendet von meinem Mi A1 mit Tapatalk
07-02-2018, 04:28 PM   #15
Forum Member

I think it is a great shot, and cutting off the dear's legs does not detract at all. I was wondering though, if the background was desaturated in post, or was it that monotone. I did not see this mentioned.