Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
07-02-2018, 08:33 PM - 1 Like   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mhrish Quote
I think it is a great shot, and cutting off the dear's legs does not detract at all. I was wondering though, if the background was desaturated in post, or was it that monotone. I did not see this mentioned.
He is way, way North where in the winter everything is desaturated, (except for our cholesterol of course!) The woods that are not evergreen here where I live look just like the image. That is why you can get good focus on what is a low contrast animal most of the year.

07-03-2018, 04:38 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks you for your kind comments.

QuoteOriginally posted by mhrish Quote
I was wondering though, if the background was desaturated in post, or was it that monotone. I did not see this mentioned.
QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
He is way, way North where in the winter everything is desaturated, (except for our cholesterol of course!) The woods that are not evergreen here where I live look just like the image. That is why you can get good focus on what is a low contrast animal most of the year.
As @SSGGeezer mentioned, winter scenes here can be largely 'desaturated' and low contrast under cloudy overcast conditions, especially in wooded areas where the trees have lost their leaves. In the case of this image, the deer was slightly highlighted by natural light, but the background had a low contrast and not much colour. There was no desaturation applied in the post-processing.
07-22-2018, 04:37 AM   #18

I personally like the image and also the crop.
Even that it cuts of the feet - it doesn't look bad (maybe if the legs were not vertical - "cutting" them might not be OK).
07-28-2018, 07:05 PM   #19

I think it's a good crop just perfect moment to capture the look

07-29-2018, 05:56 AM   #20

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
I was shooting with the DA* 300. I didn't have time to move back to capture the entire deer in the FOV, so the legs were not included in the shot.

Is this 'crop' acceptable? Is the image strong enough to allow the missing feet to be ignored?

Thanks in advance for all comments.

- Craig

I think the crop is definitely more than acceptable. Missing feet may bother the deer though. Have you tried a square crop?
07-29-2018, 12:28 PM   #21
szs

Great shot! I'd play with the cropping. Maybe 1:1 would also work, or offset the deers haad to the left, leaving more space on the right....

I don't mind the missing feet.
07-29-2018, 04:03 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I like it!

08-02-2018, 12:10 PM   #23
Veteran Member

I was shooting with the DA* 300. I didn't have time to move back to capture the entire deer in the FOV, so the legs were not included in the shot.

Is this 'crop' acceptable? Is the image strong enough to allow the missing feet to be ignored?

- Craig

Works for me but YMMV
08-05-2018, 07:03 AM   #24
Pentaxian

- Craig

I think it's fine.
08-30-2018, 06:07 PM   #25
Pentaxian

I also think it's a great shot.
02-16-2019, 02:18 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Gray Quote
Sometimes, the power of an image is not what's there, but what's NOT there. Imagination plays a big role in interpretation IMO. It's not necessary to show everything -- our minds can fill in what's missing, just like we fill in the tops of the trees and overcast, snowy sky without them being shown explicitly. The crop works because the composition works -- and we don't need to see the feet at all because we imagine the deer is standing is snow and not on something else.

I think it's a very nicely composed image, crop and all.
I agree! Congratulations to the Author!
10-23-2019, 01:13 AM   #27

- Craig

very nice and soft. You can crop more, the eyes are strong enough to fill the image