Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
04-01-2017, 05:08 PM - 1 Like   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Glass installation
Lens: DA 50mm 1.8 Camera: k5lls Photo Location: Star, NC ISO: 80 Shutter Speed: 1s Aperture: F5 

I spent about 10 minutes taking pictures of this installation at an art show with my DA 50mm 1.8. I plan to go back and take more pictures and bring a tripod this time. Illumination was from one light source. Glass is on the left hanging from stainless steel wire and casting shadows on the wall at right.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 

Last edited by mahanpots; 04-01-2017 at 05:21 PM. Reason: change picture
04-02-2017, 04:15 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Interesting!

I like the sharply delineated shadows on the wall but the hanging glass itself is a bit hard to see.

Maybe if you move to the left to get a 3-part composition (lit hanging glass in front of the dark part of the wall, lit glass in front of lit wall with shadows, lit wall with shadows) it might give a better feel. Or a wider angle lens and location close to the hanging glass (making the hanging glass visually bigger than the shadows in the background).

Can you modify the light source (i.e., put a door on the left side to create a sharper light-dark line on the wall) or it is part of the installation?

Good luck and I hope you post more pictures of this challenging subject.
04-02-2017, 03:09 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
Interesting!

I like the sharply delineated shadows on the wall but the hanging glass itself is a bit hard to see.

Maybe if you move to the left to get a 3-part composition (lit hanging glass in front of the dark part of the wall, lit glass in front of lit wall with shadows, lit wall with shadows) it might give a better feel. Or a wider angle lens and location close to the hanging glass (making the hanging glass visually bigger than the shadows in the background).

Can you modify the light source (i.e., put a door on the left side to create a sharper light-dark line on the wall) or it is part of the installation?

Good luck and I hope you post more pictures of this challenging subject.
Thanks for the suggestions. I am thinking of a tighter shot that doesn't show the whole installation. I'll try a wider angle as well. I didn't use any additional lighting, and I'm not sure if I should. I kind of feel like I should shoot it according to what the artist is trying to show. And the artist is actually not done entirely, so things may change.
04-03-2017, 06:46 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
An interesting shot. You are not only showing the installation itself but its effect on its surroundings. Not sure if I could improve it but perhaps boosting the highlights on the glass pieces and perhaps cloning out the shadows of the wires. A slight crop also from the top.the rafters don't really add anything tho the photo.

04-05-2017, 08:04 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mahanpots Quote
Thanks for the suggestions. I am thinking of a tighter shot that doesn't show the whole installation. I'll try a wider angle as well. I didn't use any additional lighting, and I'm not sure if I should. I kind of feel like I should shoot it according to what the artist is trying to show. And the artist is actually not done entirely, so things may change.
I totally agree with you on this. Assuming the artistic work comprises the suspended glass, white wall, light source and shadows, then what ever you do should capture that without affecting it. Yet sometimes the differences between human eyes and camera lenses calls for a bit for photographic technique to make what the eye sees (or does not see) visible (or invisible) to the camera.

For example, should the stainless steel wires be distinctly visible or invisible in the photo? I could see the artist feeling strongly in either direction and your challenge as a photographer is in replicating that vision in a photographic medium. If the artist wants the viewer to see the wires, then a side light (directed at the wires but not lighting any part of the visible parts of the room) might be very useful for highlighting their presence. If the artist explicitly does not want viewers to notice the wires, then a camera position that avoids reflections off the wires and a shallow DoF that blurs the shadows of the wires might be better.

Of course, as an artist yourself, you might have a different vision and take photographs that emphasize how you, personally, see the work.

Good luck!
08-05-2018, 07:03 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mahanpots Quote
I spent about 10 minutes taking pictures of this installation at an art show with my DA 50mm 1.8. I plan to go back and take more pictures and bring a tripod this time. Illumination was from one light source. Glass is on the left hanging from stainless steel wire and casting shadows on the wall at right.
That's great; dark to light!