Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-04-2017, 05:25 PM - 4 Likes   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Learning to work with the Lee ND10 filter
Lens: Sigma 17-70 Camera: K3 Photo Location: Clearwater Beach, Fl ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: Above 6s Aperture: F4 

Trying, Working, Learning the Lee ND 10 filter.
c&c are welcomed and appreciated.
Thanks in advance

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
04-04-2017, 05:43 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
no critic, just a lovely calm shot thanks for sharing
04-04-2017, 05:57 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by k1man Quote
no critic, just a lovely calm shot thanks for sharing
Thanks k1man
04-10-2017, 10:30 PM   #4

Something about this composition seems off. My eyes lock in on that midpoint as they should, but as they drift away there's nothing to bring them back and keep then roaming. Maybe a closer crop? Or a different ratio?

04-11-2017, 06:41 AM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The image has many areas that interest me:

-- the foreground water that at this time exposure looks like polished steel

-- the yellow atmosphere the color of peach flesh

-- the tiny square window on the horizon viewed between the farthest part of the pier structure.

Maybe the problem is that online the image is too small. If this image were 6 feet tall and displayed on a museum wall, a person could sit on a bench about 8-10 ft back and gaze into it a long time giving attention to different areas like the ones I have mentioned, and then stand and walk closer to look through that square window in the image.
04-11-2017, 07:53 AM - 1 Like   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Carl7253 Quote
Something about this composition seems off. My eyes lock in on that midpoint as they should, but as they drift away there's nothing to bring them back and keep then roaming. Maybe a closer crop? Or a different ratio?
Thanks Carl for the input, I'll work on a crop version
Rob

---------- Post added 04-11-17 at 10:56 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by goatsNdonkey Quote
The image has many areas that interest me:

-- the foreground water that at this time exposure looks like polished steel

-- the yellow atmosphere the color of peach flesh

-- the tiny square window on the horizon viewed between the farthest part of the pier structure.

Maybe the problem is that online the image is too small. If this image were 6 feet tall and displayed on a museum wall, a person could sit on a bench about 8-10 ft back and gaze into it a long time giving attention to different areas like the ones I have mentioned, and then stand and walk closer to look through that square window in the image.

Thanks for the insightful review. I wish I could get it printed that big and put on a gallery wall. That would be great.
05-06-2017, 06:18 AM - 3 Likes   #7

Photos: Albums
I love the colors, the atmosphere is fantastic. FWIW, if it were me, I would crop it so that the "window" at the end of the pier is at the 1/3 to 2/5ths point, remove a bit of foreground and increase contrast just a bit to enrich the shadows. Below is my take.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
09-05-2017, 04:42 PM   #8

I think it's the white building
09-09-2017, 09:28 AM   #9

I think it's the white building
I was going to say the same thing; however, white building or no, it is a lovely image
09-09-2017, 09:36 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Nice composition.

Colors are a bit unreal for my tastes.

Would have liked to see the pier's structural supports sharper. I suspect they are not sharp because of slight camera movement during the extended exposure.
09-09-2017, 11:24 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think the lighted sign in the window of the white building, on the right, and the people on the distant pier, surrounded by the brightest yellow glow, on the left, balance each other out. Together they give a human-scale context to the central concrete structure. If those human elements were not there, the concrete structure would have a kind of too-symmetrical sterility for me, despite the barnacles near the waterline of the concrete posts. The yellow glow is a bit surreal, but, if that was the true natural light, then by all means document it this way.
09-15-2017, 10:57 AM   #12
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I love everything about it! The gorgeous muted colors, the pier drawing your eye deep into the image. I wouldn't change a thing; in my opinion, it's a winner!
09-17-2017, 05:24 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Straighten the horizon.
09-17-2017, 09:52 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Terry C Quote
Straighten the horizon.
On my screen, the image is 9 1/2 inches wide. At that enlargement size, the right side of the ocean surface horizon line is 1/16th of an inch lower than on the left side. A tiny amount, and easy to miss (foregivable!), but noticeable to sharp eyes.
09-17-2017, 05:34 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by goatsNdonkey Quote
On my screen, the image is 9 1/2 inches wide. At that enlargement size, the right side of the ocean surface horizon line is 1/16th of an inch lower than on the left side. A tiny amount, and easy to miss (foregivable!), but noticeable to sharp eyes.
I am using a 22" screen !