Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
04-26-2017, 04:46 PM - 1 Like   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Ferry Dock
Lens: DA18-135mm Camera: K3 Photo Location: Goolwa ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/125s Aperture: F16 

This is a redundant river ferry dock which was replaced by a bridge many years ago. I was attracted by the repetitive pattern of the posts and fixing bolts and the silvering, rust, grain and milling marks on the wood. It struck me as a good B&W subject. The colour version and standard B&W conversion lacked impact and were very flat. Consequently I pushed up the contrast and structure of the overall image to a moderate extent and did local enhancements of the structure and black shades on the posts.
I'd appreciate comments on the final result. Have I tried to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear?

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
04-26-2017, 08:09 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think you did a great job with the B&W conversion. However, the subject simply doesn't stand out; the image is too busy IMO.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-26-2017, 09:03 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I think you did a great job with the B&W conversion. However, the subject simply doesn't stand out; the image is too busy IMO.
Thanks Adam. I had this nagging feeling that the image was not up to scratch. You've put your finger on the problem!
08-05-2018, 06:54 AM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ozwald Quote
This is a redundant river ferry dock which was replaced by a bridge many years ago. I was attracted by the repetitive pattern of the posts and fixing bolts and the silvering, rust, grain and milling marks on the wood. It struck me as a good B&W subject. The colour version and standard B&W conversion lacked impact and were very flat. Consequently I pushed up the contrast and structure of the overall image to a moderate extent and did local enhancements of the structure and black shades on the posts.
I'd appreciate comments on the final result. Have I tried to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear?
It works perfectly.

08-09-2018, 09:48 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

as Adam said ; may be too busy: might work better if you crop the front fence?
10-19-2019, 06:29 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Maybe not what they call a killer image, but definitely a keeper in my book. Even without your explanation, I would have dug what compelled you to take the image, why you saw potential in a b/w conversion, and how you realized your vision. Composition-wise, the image may be complex, given that it accentuates details and textures, but it's not complicated. In fact, I think you turned something that might have been fairly mundane into something interesting.
10-23-2019, 01:11 AM   #7

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ozwald Quote
hard contrast, but nice