Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
04-30-2017, 01:23 AM - 1 Like   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Budding Oleander
ISO: 1000 Shutter Speed: 1/125s Aperture: F4 

Last edited by RoccoStiglitz; 04-30-2017 at 01:31 AM.
04-30-2017, 07:42 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I see you are a new member of the forum, hello and welcome.

In my opinion, there is only one fault with this photo and that is lack of sufficient depth of field.
Colour and exposure are brilliant. Composition is fine for this type of subject. The background is nice and soft, providing both contrast and continuity with the subject.. But in my opinion the whole subject should pin sharp. It looks to me as if there is a bud of leaf protruding towards the camera, which is throwing a large portion of the foreground out of focus. I have a simple rule that I try to adhere to (Not always successfully) A wide enough DoF to render the desired parts of the subject sharp and no more, as little DoF to render the desired parts of the subject sharp and no less. For this sort of photograph I would start with an aperture of f11. If necessary orient the flower so that is presents a flat as possible plane in relation to the film plane.

Good luck and please post some more, this has real potential.
04-30-2017, 12:12 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bruce Clark Quote
I see you are a new member of the forum, hello and welcome.

In my opinion, there is only one fault with this photo and that is lack of sufficient depth of field.
Colour and exposure are brilliant. Composition is fine for this type of subject. The background is nice and soft, providing both contrast and continuity with the subject.. But in my opinion the whole subject should pin sharp. It looks to me as if there is a bud of leaf protruding towards the camera, which is throwing a large portion of the foreground out of focus. I have a simple rule that I try to adhere to (Not always successfully) A wide enough DoF to render the desired parts of the subject sharp and no more, as little DoF to render the desired parts of the subject sharp and no less. For this sort of photograph I would start with an aperture of f11. If necessary orient the flower so that is presents a flat as possible plane in relation to the film plane.

Good luck and please post some more, this has real potential.
Thanks for the tips, Bruce. Agree on all points.

When I snapped this I was getting familiar with the program line settings and this one happened to be taken with MTF priority which for this lens sets aperture to f4 (although tests I've read have found the best detail at f5.6 but that's a different discussion). I had no plans to process this but when I was browsing the sd card on my pc the colors stood out so I worked on it a bit in lightroom and thought it turned out pretty well.
07-05-2018, 04:29 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Just about to burst.
You've made a great photo! It's sharp and the colour are just perfect together.