Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-12-2017, 02:47 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Please improve - After sunset
Lens: DA 18-135mm Camera: K-30 ISO: 100 Aperture: F13.5 

I was taking photos of the sunset today. It was a bit hazy,but not too bad.
Anyhow, I can't seem to be able to process the photo to something i really like in LR. The colors somehow seem off.

If you have suggestions, please feel free to share them as I'm not sure where to proceed from here...
Processed:

Non-processed: (RAW->JPG with no-adjustments. Exported from LightRoom)

05-12-2017, 03:23 PM   #2
Pentaxian

This is actually done using Paint Shop Pro - was it more like what you hoped for ?
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 
05-12-2017, 03:41 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'd also experiment with cropping, as I don't think the bush on the right adds to the composition. Maybe also tighten it up from the bottom, boost the contrast just a bit more, and you should be good to go!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

05-13-2017, 06:58 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I agree with the cropping suggestion but I have to say I like the raw non-adjusted versions better. They look more true to life IMHO.

05-13-2017, 09:20 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
An alternate interpretation with cooler tones and a graduated filter. Nice image - is that in Flanders? What is the name of the town?

05-14-2017, 04:50 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Beautiful - much more natural.
05-14-2017, 02:44 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thank you very much for your suggestions! I'll play around with the photo a bit more and we'll see what it becomes.

The town in the picture is Den Hoorn on the island of Texel in the Netherlands. The island has several nice villages. Located at the southernmost end of the Wadden Sea, Texel is a popular stopping place for migratory birds - so a good place for bird watching as well.

More about Texel here: Lonely Planet - Texel
05-15-2017, 04:15 PM   #8
mee
Pentaxian

The sky is the only appealing aspect to your image for me.. I would have angled the camera upward to get more sky. It was a gorgeous sunset.

However, I'm not sure this is an image I would work to 'save' and would (discard it and) probably just work on getting a better composition with the camera. The foreground is especially displeasing to me..

05-15-2017, 10:53 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
The sky is the only appealing aspect to your image for me
Thank you for your cautiously worded comment
I like the layers of different fields in the foreground - which is part of the reason why it was angled they way it was.
05-17-2017, 07:57 AM   #10
Forum Member

My suggestions:

After sunset means that the light is becoming scarcer thus overall look of the image should be darker.
In this particular case (in the unchanged version) it seems that the sky is slightly too bright in comparison to the ground scene.

1) Overall exposure should be slightly decreased.
2) WB might be slightly slightly warmer - to make the lightest area in the sky more orange (you know the look).
3) Apply curve adjustment to bring out details in the sky with aim to improve contrast. Using gradient mask (or I don't know what is available in the lightroom) apply this adjustment just to the sky part of the image.
05-29-2017, 04:06 AM   #11
Pentaxian

how about something like this where i got completely rid of the bush on the right?

05-29-2017, 07:52 PM   #12
Veteran Member

This image works nicely as it was taken without any crop. The angle to the lower left balances against all the horizontal lines of the field. The trees lower right work fine in the full image and have three distinct green colored leaves which adds a nice color contrast