Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
05-21-2017, 04:19 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
First PixelShift
Lens: DA* 16-50 Camera: K3ii Photo Location: Mass ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 5s Aperture: F13.5 

My First Attempt at a PS photo.
Please Critique. I had to use my jeep as a tripod, Worked out pretty well once I convinced my wife she had to get out :-)

Last edited by link81; 05-22-2017 at 02:18 PM. Reason: updated photo link
05-21-2017, 06:11 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There seems to be a bluish tint on my computer...
05-21-2017, 08:11 PM   #3

QuoteOriginally posted by hjoseph7 Quote
There seems to be a bluish tint on my computer...
i agree....blue
05-22-2017, 02:45 AM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The colour is letting you down.
I used the eyedropper tool in "OloneoPhotoEngine".

Part of the sky is blown, can easily be corrected if shot in RAW, not so easy in JPG if at all.

Cheers

Last edited by Schraubstock; 06-15-2017 at 02:46 AM.
05-22-2017, 04:47 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
it was rather blue that evening, to the color is actually fairly accurate.
I definitely shot it in RAW, so there is a ton of information to play with.

I can host the raw if anyone is interested in playing with it.
05-22-2017, 08:09 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by link81 Quote
My First Attempt at a PS photo.
Please Critique. I had to use my jeep as a tripod, Worked out pretty well once I convinced my wife she had to get out :-)

Is this Pixel Shift processed from the DNG or JPG? I'd sure try it Raw if JPG. Color probably be fixed to with Raw.
Hopefully when your wife de-jeeped you turned it and the wife off quieted. Either could shake the camera. Kidding about the Jeep part.

RONC
05-22-2017, 02:23 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rechmbrs Quote
Is this Pixel Shift processed from the DNG or JPG? I'd sure try it Raw if JPG. Color probably be fixed to with Raw.
Hopefully when your wife de-jeeped you turned it and the wife off quieted. Either could shake the camera. Kidding about the Jeep part.

RONC
processed from the DNG.
ha ha ha, yes, she definitely de-jeeped before it, and also had the jeep off. (although, the first shot, I might have forgotten both )

Re-processed slightly.
White Balance, and also played with the sky trying to add interest to the clouds.

05-22-2017, 04:47 PM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

it was rather blue that evening, to the color is actually fairly accurate.
What ?
I ran it through three colour cast removal programs... but if you like it this way - fine !

It would make a good picture for the cover of a "Best of Bluegrass Hits" album.

Cheers
05-22-2017, 05:04 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote
What ?
I ran it through three colour cast removal programs... but if you like it this way - fine !

It would make a good picture for the cover of a "Best of Bluegrass Hits" album.

Cheers
ha ha yeah, it was kinda strange. the sun had been down for a while, so it was definitely into twilight. but the sky was still pretty light, even though the land had a strange blue cast to it. Or at least my brain thinks there was

original dmg is here:
GoTopless_20170519_192712_K3II4434_©cs_2017.dng - Google Drive
05-23-2017, 02:33 AM - 1 Like   #10
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
I can host the raw if anyone is interested in playing with it.
Thanks for that... here's my 5 minutes take on it.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 

Last edited by Kerrowdown; 05-23-2017 at 02:51 AM.
05-23-2017, 03:59 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Excellent change. That's a keeper.
RONC
05-23-2017, 08:14 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
I like that, Not what i remember it looking like in real life, but i suppose thats not a bad thing. I've really got to stop trying to make what i see, and work on making what i want to see :-)

if it's not too much, can you either send me the xml file? or a screenshot of the settings? I'm curious what you all did. I'll take another crack at a re-process again, and go further with it.
05-23-2017, 09:14 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't agree with some of the above posts. It was clearly taken late with some overcast skies. Digitally "correcting" the blue will give you an image that people standing there did not see. Keep the blue. I think the reason people don't like the blue is because they expect those barns to be typically red.
Since people already posted their re-PP, here is what I would do: make it a bit darker, add graduated ND, use Tonal contrast and Clarity to make the sky and road pop. Minimal color correction to make the barns a bit more 'red'. I like high contrast, but doing it low contrast would work as well, if you just make the sky a bit darker so its EV is close to the EV of the foreground.

Sharpness and detail are good. Really, the DoF is amazing and the level of detail..! Pixel shift was definitely a success!

Edit: I attached a little thumbnail of how I would PP it. Great shot to work with, though. Makes me want to get a camera with PS
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 

Last edited by Na Horuk; 05-23-2017 at 11:31 AM.
05-23-2017, 12:08 PM   #14
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by rechmbrs Quote
Excellent change
Thank you, but at the end of the day, it's all about how the OP wants the image to look like.
05-23-2017, 12:52 PM   #15
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm curious what you all did
I deleted the file the moment after I posted it, I always do this with files that not my own.

However I can tell you what I did roughly from memory, if that's of any use to you, all in PP in Lightroom CC.

1) White balance, adjustment dropper off the grey roof on the left.
2) Increase overall image exposure, increase contrast, increase blacks a touch, decrease whites and highlights.
3) Graduated filter from top edge down, to decrease exposure, contrast, clarity and tweak blue colour.
4) Graduated filter from the bottom edge up, to increase exposure and clarity.
5) Local adjustment brush to driveway area, to increase exposure slightly, add a little clarity and blacks to make it pop.
6) Adjust overall image sharpness, using my preset... amount 38, Radius 1.5, detail 73, masking 20.

It looks like a lot of tweaks... but I PP a lot of images daily and use presets wherever possible, so it can all be done in just a few minutes.

Hope this helps, it's all about getting an image that pleases you.