Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-22-2017, 12:15 PM - 1 Like   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
how to control morning burn?
Lens: Pentax 16-50mm Camera: Pentax k3ii Photo Location: Walton Lighthouse, Santa Cruz, California ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 3s Aperture: F8 

this was my first time experiencing the awesome burn but i think i could have done better if i was prepared well meaning know how to control this kind of scene where reds are too prominent! i hope someone from this group can help me understand that!
Thanks in advance!

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
05-22-2017, 12:28 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I rather like the colour as it is, however if you need to reduce saturation just use a Hue Saturation adjustment layer in your editor of choice. Most will allow you to reduce/increase colour both selectively and overall
05-22-2017, 12:38 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TonyW Quote
I rather like the colour as it is, however if you need to reduce saturation just use a Hue Saturation adjustment layer in your editor of choice. Most will allow you to reduce/increase colour both selectively and overall
Thanks for your quick reply, will keep that in mind and apply it once i edit this shot again.
05-22-2017, 01:10 PM   #4
Pentaxian

The colors are good. If you're concerned about blowing out the red channel during a long exposure you can underexpose a little, then boost the shadows later (at the expense of increased noise, although you should be fine at 100 ISO). Or use bracketing and process the longest exposure that isn't overexposed.

Composition-wise, IMO it would look better without the person in the frame. They don't add to the scene.

05-22-2017, 01:21 PM - 1 Like   #5
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Obviously it is an opinion/choice--but I think looking at a picture of photographer looking at the scene is very effective--and I think you framed it well.
05-22-2017, 02:08 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
The colors are good. If you're concerned about blowing out the red channel during a long exposure you can underexpose a little, then boost the shadows later (at the expense of increased noise, although you should be fine at 100 ISO). Or use bracketing and process the longest exposure that isn't overexposed.

Composition-wise, IMO it would look better without the person in the frame. They don't add to the scene.
great advice, thanks for your reply and explaining it well i am going to take care this next time i shoot!

---------- Post added 05-22-17 at 02:10 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by dms Quote
Obviously it is an opinion/choice--but I think looking at a picture of photographer looking at the scene is very effective--and I think you framed it well.
Thanks there was no way i could get desired shot without ruining other person's frame so i thought i can use it as advantage and its better to have somethin then going home empty hand! i did took some shots with at golden hr when that lady moved! will post them soon!
06-27-2017, 02:39 PM   #7
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by inder81jeet Quote
how to control morning burn?
I think this is maybe easily controlled with a WB correction, but only you know what the true colours were at the time.

The image attached is with the WB taken off the Grey Lighthouse tower.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 

Last edited by Kerrowdown; 06-27-2017 at 02:52 PM.
07-04-2017, 03:24 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
I think this is maybe easily controlled with a WB correction, but only you know what the true colours were at the time.

The image attached is with the WB taken off the Grey Lighthouse tower.
That's Great need to process this again!!
07-05-2017, 02:29 AM   #9
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Since you (presumably) want to capture the look with the sun low on the horizon--the light will be much more yellow-orange than daylight--and doing a white balance correction would partially negate this. It would tend to make it look like it should in normal daylight. I would think adjusting the WB to daylight (5500K) would be a starting point and then adjust the temperature and tint till it looks like what you think looks best. (But you already posted a version that likely did that.)
07-05-2017, 10:54 PM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dms Quote
Since you (presumably) want to capture the look with the sun low on the horizon--the light will be much more yellow-orange than daylight--and doing a white balance correction would partially negate this. It would tend to make it look like it should in normal daylight. I would think adjusting the WB to daylight (5500K) would be a starting point and then adjust the temperature and tint till it looks like what you think looks best. (But you already posted a version that likely did that.)
Thanks for your reply yes that explains about my question also Kerrowdown posted the edited version which is good too