Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
05-31-2017, 06:16 PM - 1 Like   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Not sure if this is a good photograph.
Lens: Canon 55~250 IS II Lens Camera: Canon EOS Rebel t5. Photo Location: Neighborhood ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/125s Aperture: F6.3 

Focal Length @ 146mm, no flash and used Multi-Segment Metering.

Will appreciate any and all suggestions.

Many thanks for viewing.

TT

05-31-2017, 06:59 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
There are many far worse. The fuzzy red background detracts from the form of the flower, though.

Last edited by SpecialK; 06-02-2017 at 01:45 AM.
06-01-2017, 09:56 AM   #3
Veteran Member

TonyTee your question is rather vague without details like color space, RAW vs JPG etc. A good photograph in what sense? Compositionally it works nicely for an image of a rose. What is not working for this photograph is the tone and color. A simple auto-Tone correction will fix the flatness to the tonal range. The red channel is drowning out the rest of the detail. Adobe RGB can cause this type of red cast. For the sRGB JPG you uploaded It can be removed with PS Channel mixer.
06-01-2017, 07:23 PM - 1 Like   #4

Here is my 2 minute attempt at a fix, I darkened the background to isolate the subject and made a few levels adjustments. Still needs some more work though.

Attached Images

06-02-2017, 01:10 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rico Quote
TonyTee your question is rather vague without details like color space, RAW vs JPG etc. A good photograph in what sense? Compositionally it works nicely for an image of a rose. What is not working for this photograph is the tone and color. A simple auto-Tone correction will fix the flatness to the tonal range. The red channel is drowning out the rest of the detail. Adobe RGB can cause this type of red cast. For the sRGB JPG you uploaded It can be removed with PS Channel mixer.
I see what you are saying and I agree wholeheartedly. Looking at it further I believe the problem is that I am accustomed to shooting roses where the petals are in a tighter grouping. This particular rose just appears to me to be a mess. Just my perspective on it. Gosh, again many thanks for your assistance.

Rgds,

Tonytee.

---------- Post added 06-02-17 at 01:12 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by bakerking31 Quote
Here is my 2 minute attempt at a fix, I darkened the background to isolate the subject and made a few levels adjustments. Still needs some more work though.
Thank you very much for the improvements. Which PPE did you use and how did you arrive at this result? Most Impressive.

Tonytee.
06-02-2017, 09:29 AM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by Tonytee Quote
Thank you very much for the improvements. Which PPE did you use and how did you arrive at this result? Most Impressive.

Tonytee.
I used Photoshop with Topaz Remask as a plugin but you don't need that software for this, its just what I am comfortable with and what I have.

I first masked the background away from the subject and darkened the background. The main thing that bothered me about the original was on the left side of the rose there was another rose behind it out of focus but fairly bright. The subject rose was competing with the background rose for my attention. Darkening the background helps create a more 3D effect and isolates the subject.

Then I did a levels adjustment to add contrast, the main petal that shoots out at the viewer I felt needed a pure black under the petal to give it depth, so I used levels adjustment layer to get that.

Last I corrected the color with a levels adjustment for just red. I also had to back down the saturation a bit because it was too high (possibly due to the other levels adjustments I already did).

With more time I would work a bit more on my mask (its slightly off in some areas), the color still needs some work but I cant put my finger on it, lighten the stem slightly, do some dodge and burn on the petals to create a bit more depth. The petals on the back half of the rose can use a bit of darkening in the shadows. Basically the dodging and burning would be to create a similar effect to using a diffused off camera flash on the flower.

You definitely have a nice photo for a starting point.
06-03-2017, 09:17 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tonytee Quote
I see what you are saying and I agree wholeheartedly. Looking at it further I believe the problem is that I am accustomed to shooting roses where the petals are in a tighter grouping. This particular rose just appears to me to be a mess. Just my perspective on it. Gosh, again many thanks for your assistance.

Rgds,

Tonytee.

---------- Post added 06-02-17 at 01:12 AM ----------

Tonytee.
Tonytee the rose certainly looks a little roughed up. It appears to have gone through a good rain storm forcing it open prematurely. You did a nice job of framing a pleasing angle that makes it no less a rose. If you shot this in RAW you can easily adjust the color to a more natural state. For this JPG using Photoshop's Channel mixer removing the color cast reveals much more detail. There is a team of insects on the petals.

I don't mind the background. It looks like it was a bright sunny day.