Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-31-2017, 06:16 PM - 1 Like   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Jul 2012
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 12,583
Not sure if this is a good photograph.
Lens: Canon 55~250 IS II Lens Camera: Canon EOS Rebel t5. Photo Location: Neighborhood ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/125s Aperture: F6.3 



Focal Length @ 146mm, no flash and used Multi-Segment Metering.

Will appreciate any and all suggestions.

Many thanks for viewing.

TT

05-31-2017, 06:59 PM   #2
Pentaxian
SpecialK's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: So California
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 16,108
There are many far worse. The fuzzy red background detracts from the form of the flower, though.

Last edited by SpecialK; 06-02-2017 at 01:45 AM.
06-01-2017, 09:56 AM   #3
Veteran Member




Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,104
TonyTee your question is rather vague without details like color space, RAW vs JPG etc. A good photograph in what sense? Compositionally it works nicely for an image of a rose. What is not working for this photograph is the tone and color. A simple auto-Tone correction will fix the flatness to the tonal range. The red channel is drowning out the rest of the detail. Adobe RGB can cause this type of red cast. For the sRGB JPG you uploaded It can be removed with PS Channel mixer.
06-01-2017, 07:23 PM - 1 Like   #4
Senior Member




Join Date: Jul 2015
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 109
Here is my 2 minute attempt at a fix, I darkened the background to isolate the subject and made a few levels adjustments. Still needs some more work though.

Attached Images
 
06-02-2017, 01:10 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Jul 2012
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 12,583
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rico Quote
TonyTee your question is rather vague without details like color space, RAW vs JPG etc. A good photograph in what sense? Compositionally it works nicely for an image of a rose. What is not working for this photograph is the tone and color. A simple auto-Tone correction will fix the flatness to the tonal range. The red channel is drowning out the rest of the detail. Adobe RGB can cause this type of red cast. For the sRGB JPG you uploaded It can be removed with PS Channel mixer.
I see what you are saying and I agree wholeheartedly. Looking at it further I believe the problem is that I am accustomed to shooting roses where the petals are in a tighter grouping. This particular rose just appears to me to be a mess. Just my perspective on it. Gosh, again many thanks for your assistance.

Rgds,

Tonytee.

---------- Post added 06-02-17 at 01:12 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by bakerking31 Quote
Here is my 2 minute attempt at a fix, I darkened the background to isolate the subject and made a few levels adjustments. Still needs some more work though.
Thank you very much for the improvements. Which PPE did you use and how did you arrive at this result? Most Impressive.

Tonytee.
06-02-2017, 09:29 AM   #6
Senior Member




Join Date: Jul 2015
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 109
QuoteOriginally posted by Tonytee Quote
Thank you very much for the improvements. Which PPE did you use and how did you arrive at this result? Most Impressive.

Tonytee.
I used Photoshop with Topaz Remask as a plugin but you don't need that software for this, its just what I am comfortable with and what I have.

I first masked the background away from the subject and darkened the background. The main thing that bothered me about the original was on the left side of the rose there was another rose behind it out of focus but fairly bright. The subject rose was competing with the background rose for my attention. Darkening the background helps create a more 3D effect and isolates the subject.

Then I did a levels adjustment to add contrast, the main petal that shoots out at the viewer I felt needed a pure black under the petal to give it depth, so I used levels adjustment layer to get that.

Last I corrected the color with a levels adjustment for just red. I also had to back down the saturation a bit because it was too high (possibly due to the other levels adjustments I already did).


With more time I would work a bit more on my mask (its slightly off in some areas), the color still needs some work but I cant put my finger on it, lighten the stem slightly, do some dodge and burn on the petals to create a bit more depth. The petals on the back half of the rose can use a bit of darkening in the shadows. Basically the dodging and burning would be to create a similar effect to using a diffused off camera flash on the flower.

You definitely have a nice photo for a starting point.
06-03-2017, 09:17 AM   #7
Veteran Member




Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,104
QuoteOriginally posted by Tonytee Quote
I see what you are saying and I agree wholeheartedly. Looking at it further I believe the problem is that I am accustomed to shooting roses where the petals are in a tighter grouping. This particular rose just appears to me to be a mess. Just my perspective on it. Gosh, again many thanks for your assistance.

Rgds,

Tonytee.

---------- Post added 06-02-17 at 01:12 AM ----------



Thank you very much for the improvements. Which PPE did you use and how did you arrive at this result? Most Impressive.

Tonytee.
Tonytee the rose certainly looks a little roughed up. It appears to have gone through a good rain storm forcing it open prematurely. You did a nice job of framing a pleasing angle that makes it no less a rose. If you shot this in RAW you can easily adjust the color to a more natural state. For this JPG using Photoshop's Channel mixer removing the color cast reveals much more detail. There is a team of insects on the petals.

I don't mind the background. It looks like it was a bright sunny day.

Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
channel, color, critique, fix, good, jpg, photograph, photography
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Nature Not sure about this photograph. Tonytee Post Your Photos! 4 09-01-2016 07:41 PM
Pentax ES hanging shutter. Not sure if bug or intentional? quozzy Pentax Film SLR Discussion 2 07-15-2016 09:57 AM
Not Sure If This AF Thing(and maybe the K-5)Is for Me. tabl10s Pentax K-5 37 07-15-2012 08:03 PM
Question Im not even sure if this is possible... yeatzee Site Suggestions and Help 2 01-12-2011 12:46 PM
Not sure if dot is dust on sensor or something else k100d kbee007 Pentax DSLR Discussion 11 10-01-2008 12:14 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:25 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top