Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
06-04-2017, 12:33 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
what improvements can be done?
Lens: Pentax 16-50mm Camera: Pentax k3ii Photo Location: san francisco ISO: 100 Aperture: F11 

Famous Painted Ladies in San Francisco Neighborhood, when i went there sun was already up, clouds were moving and this was single exposure HDR done with LR CC.
f 11, 1/100 sec, ISO 100 at 18mm.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
06-04-2017, 01:28 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A little contrast might help...
06-04-2017, 03:23 PM   #3
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by inder81jeet Quote
This is a nice image, thank you for sharing. You've done a good job of contrasting the period housing against a more contemporary skyline but as you've asked I'd like to make some observations.

From the image capture perspective, I'd like to see the street the houses are on. With the bottom of the houses missing it kind of feels like a full body photo of a person with their feet missing. That could just be me of course and the ommission of the streetscape may have been justified if there was something best left out, so fair enough if that was the case as this framing is more about the houses.

The PP is interesting, the HDR processing has created some colour variations in the scene, most notable in the sky and in the magenta colour in the shadow on the left of frame. The saturated blue in the top left looks a bit out of place, so maybe a low opacity grad filter would help darken the sky at the top and balance out some of the sky colour variation without undoing the great contrasting colour effect between the cool sky and warm clouds. The magenta caste is a bit tricker, but a local brush technique desaturating the magenta slightly might balance out the colour variation more.

I also suggest you look at the individual processing steps to find out what's caused the light fringing above the roofs, it's especially noticeable against the dark city buildings to the right of frame. If you decided to rework the image in post I'd suggest you try and tone down that element of the image as this is what drew my eye immediately as it looks unnatural.

This is a good cityscape so please don't be disheartened with any of my feedback. If this is a typical example of your work I look forward to seeing more of it in the forums.

Tas
06-04-2017, 04:58 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hjoseph7 Quote
A little contrast might help...
Thank you for your feedback, will look in to that, cheers!

---------- Post added 06-04-17 at 05:06 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Tas Quote
This is a nice image, thank you for sharing. You've done a good job of contrasting the period housing against a more contemporary skyline but as you've asked I'd like to make some observations.

From the image capture perspective, I'd like to see the street the houses are on. With the bottom of the houses missing it kind of feels like a full body photo of a person with their feet missing. That could just be me of course and the ommission of the streetscape may have been justified if there was something best left out, so fair enough if that was the case as this framing is more about the houses.

The PP is interesting, the HDR processing has created some colour variations in the scene, most notable in the sky and in the magenta colour in the shadow on the left of frame. The saturated blue in the top left looks a bit out of place, so maybe a low opacity grad filter would help darken the sky at the top and balance out some of the sky colour variation without undoing the great contrasting colour effect between the cool sky and warm clouds. The magenta caste is a bit tricker, but a local brush technique desaturating the magenta slightly might balance out the colour variation more.

I also suggest you look at the individual processing steps to find out what's caused the light fringing above the roofs, it's especially noticeable against the dark city buildings to the right of frame. If you decided to rework the image in post I'd suggest you try and tone down that element of the image as this is what drew my eye immediately as it looks unnatural.

This is a good cityscape so please don't be disheartened with any of my feedback. If this is a typical example of your work I look forward to seeing more of it in the forums.

Tas
Thanks alot for your time and pointing out things i can improve, i will try to re-post it hopefully in next few days, i dont think i am really good with post processing and still learning, really appreciate your feedback, Cheers!

06-06-2017, 11:32 AM   #5
Veteran Member

There are some halos around the "ladies" which I have boxed below. This is a pretty common phenomenon when doing HDR, which unfortunately can be pretty distracting.
Attached Images

06-06-2017, 05:34 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
There are some halos around the "ladies" which I have boxed below. This is a pretty common phenomenon when doing HDR, which unfortunately can be pretty distracting.
That's True, thanks for pointing out, i will see what i can do.
06-07-2017, 05:13 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Here is a great tutorial on cloning out halos. I've used it many times with great success.

Sharpening Halos And How To Hide Them - Tutorials

Example where I needed to use the tutorial and still could use a little more.

Tim

Last edited by atupdate; 06-07-2017 at 05:40 AM.
06-07-2017, 06:12 AM   #8
Pentaxian

The photo subject seems to be clouds more than the houses. Try cropping to a wider format such as 2:1.

Can you brighten the houses more without getting too much noise? Too much HDR, though, might make it look like a cartoon.

When confronted with tricky lighting like this, consider composing for less sky, and let the sky blow out if needed to brighten your subject.
06-08-2017, 09:22 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by atupdate Quote
Here is a great tutorial on cloning out halos. I've used it many times with great success.

Sharpening Halos And How To Hide Them - Tutorials

Example where I needed to use the tutorial and still could use a little more.

Tim
Great i will look into that, Cheers!!

---------- Post added 06-08-17 at 09:24 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
The photo subject seems to be clouds more than the houses. Try cropping to a wider format such as 2:1.

Can you brighten the houses more without getting too much noise? Too much HDR, though, might make it look like a cartoon.

When confronted with tricky lighting like this, consider composing for less sky, and let the sky blow out if needed to brighten your subject.
Thats great advice i must say, will try to do that as soon as i can!
06-11-2017, 01:56 AM - 1 Like   #10
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by inder81jeet Quote
If it were mine, I would have tweaked the WB, as to me it has quite a predominate blue cast to the image.

But that's maybe the way you saw it and wanted it to be, is all about personal choice.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 

Last edited by Kerrowdown; 06-11-2017 at 02:04 AM.
06-11-2017, 07:29 PM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
If it were mine, I would have tweaked the WB, as to me it has quite a predominate blue cast to the image.

But that's maybe the way you saw it and wanted it to be, is all about personal choice.
Great, will try to re-edit soon!