Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-17-2008, 09:22 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Freedom in Black and White

What do you think of the photo? Composition? Subject? Exposure? technical issues? Like it Don't like it?

Don't sugarcoat it. What do you think?

Eric.

Last edited by KungPOW; 05-22-2009 at 09:50 PM.
08-19-2008, 12:39 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I like the strong diagonal geometrics, and how these work with the overall softness of the image. Perspective gets skewed in a satisfying way.

Me, I'd have taken this photo and tried to move more to my right, to see what an even more extreme angling would do. Honestly I don't know if that would be better, though the effect should be the heightening of that diagonal and the geometric distortion.

For me the exposure and the 'print' are good, I wouldn't change the tones.

The man and kite are oof, which I take is intentional? That's a good thing as this separates them out of the stark fence. The whole photo has an old art photo feel.

The crop's good too, though I'd like to see what a less tall crop (or more square for that matter) would look like - not that I crave seeing it, but if I were working on this photo I'd want to see it as a choice.

Overall I like this photo, which is why I'm writing so much.
08-19-2008, 08:56 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Nester,

Thank you for the feedback!

The oof of the man and the kite is not intentional. I had the lens pre-set to its hperfocal length, and the man and the kite were not at the actual focal point. I wanted to get the photo before the man noticed me, so pre-focused out of sight.

There is also the affect of the size reduction of the scan, although they are not tack sharp, they look softer then they are when viewed full size.

The crop was primarily controled by a lamp standard that I did not want in the shot. I considered removing it in PP, but I felt the crop was a more honest approach.

Again, thanks for the input.

Eric.
08-19-2008, 10:22 PM   #4
Damn Brit

I pretty much agree with what Nesster said. I would crop some from the right to put the man more into the corner so that you have a diagonal from corner to corner going through the man and the kite. You can't see the string of the kite so the crop would make that connection in the strings absence.
Gary

Last edited by Damn Brit; 08-20-2008 at 12:10 AM.
08-25-2008, 06:22 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
First rate shot and good job with that kind of tough contrast.
I agree with Nesster and Gary, cropping (square?) would tie the two images more closely together. If you really want to play around, here's a quick and dirty PS edit (this is rough, it badly needs to be blended but you get the idea) that moves the two images even closer... that may be too much for some tastes. Again, not better, just different.
FHPhotographer