Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-07-2017, 09:26 PM   #1

Another Bird in the Everglades
Lens: FAJ 75-300 Camera: K-r Photo Location: Everglades Miami FL ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/1500s Aperture: F6.7 

Another try at birds in the everglades, this one was in a data antenna to measure water level. I tried a little more patience from me and from the bird.
please criticize on how to improve, I cropped with Paint shop and reduce ca with DCU5.
Thanks,

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-r  Photo 
08-09-2017, 04:01 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Very nice capture. The only suggestion I have is to crop some of the sky off the top. The angle of the birds back and head leads my eyes to the top of the image. As cropped, that is empty sky. If you remove a lot of the sky, the stopping point will become the bird's head.

The image could also use a bit of sharpening. Images often need sharpening after being downsized. I used Paint Shop Pro Unsharp Mask with a Radius of 1 and Strength at 100 on you image below.

Tim

Last edited by atupdate; 08-09-2017 at 04:11 AM.
08-09-2017, 11:09 AM   #3

Original Poster
Thank you Tim, you are right there was too much nothing above the head.
I also use Paint Shop but I'm not too familiar with all the tools, need more time!!!
I wiil start playing with the software.
Thanks,
Tony
11-15-2017, 11:47 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Funny, I'd like to leave just a little more space in front of the bird's head rather than having it feel cramped up against the edge of the frame. Agree with taking a little off the top, but a little lead-space ahead of an animal or person makes it feel like they have more space in the image.
He (?) posed nicely for you!

Last edited by Alliecat; 11-17-2017 at 12:07 AM.
11-16-2017, 11:54 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Alliecat's main point is quite right - in both images shown above, the close crop on the left seems to be making the bird strain its head back to fit into the frame. If there were more sky on the left, and as it is quite a long bird, the top could probably be left as it is to give a 4:5 image. Perhaps also make use of the fill-light and clarity tools in PSP to enhance the feathers.

Philip

11-17-2017, 12:17 PM   #6

Original Poster
Alliecat & MrB1,

Thanks for your comments, I think you're right, it is not to much "nothing" above the bird, it was the lack of "nothing" in the front of the bird.
Also, I am learning more of the software to use the tools that improve the image quality,

Thanks, very much.