Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
08-28-2017, 01:10 PM   #16
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by TV95 Quote
especially Kerrowdowns. They look really cool.
Thank you, here I took the greens out of the water completely and added some whites and a wee bit extra contrast to the sky.

09-18-2017, 11:45 AM   #17

I would keep the original coloring, but I think the image could use some additional sharpening, on the rocks in particular.
Maybe there is a little bit of motion blur on the rocks? Was the camera on a tripod in the water?
09-18-2017, 01:06 PM   #18

Original Poster
Yes it was! And I also used the 2s timer so iI don't think there is motion blur in this picture. When I zoom in on my computer at the picture I also do not notice blur. But I agree with you that the rocks look quite dull in the first picture, but I think that is corrected in the later edits (for example the post of kerrowdown)
01-22-2018, 05:30 AM - 3 Likes   #19

Original Poster
I gave it a second look and arrived at this. Please let me know what you think about it

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 
01-22-2018, 08:55 AM - 1 Like   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I gave it a second look and arrived at this. Please let me know what you think about it
A fine shot and good PPing,, it's always difficult to capture the 'essence' of a place like this, one of the wettest places in the UK

BTW the Idwal slabs just left of centre are where generations of climbers learnt their skills in rock climbing - as an experienced climber I used to enjoy just walking up them mainly to see the surprised looks of those festooned with caribineers and ropes.
01-22-2018, 09:08 AM   #21
Veteran Member

This last version looks very natural. The colors of the grass in the background are not oversaturated and the clarity is very good. This one is my favorite of the versions that you've posted.
01-23-2018, 07:12 AM   #22

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mohb Quote
A fine shot and good PPing,, it's always difficult to capture the 'essence' of a place like this, one of the wettest places in the UK

BTW the Idwal slabs just left of centre are where generations of climbers learnt their skills in rock climbing - as an experienced climber I used to enjoy just walking up them mainly to see the surprised looks of those festooned with caribineers and ropes.
Thank you, it is really an amazing place. I hope the photo gives a good impression of the location.
QuoteQuote:
This last version looks very natural. The colors of the grass in the background are not oversaturated and the clarity is very good. This one is my favorite of the versions that you've posted.
I am glad to hear. Getting the colors and contrast right was not as easy as I hoped. I am happy to hear it is improved

Last edited by TV95; 01-25-2018 at 04:12 AM.
07-22-2018, 04:48 AM   #23

One more suggestion from my side - you can try to accent on the mountains by making them brighter.
You can use a gradient ND filter. It is typically used to darken the sky, but in this case - you can use it to darker the foreground. With a bit slower shutter speed - you will have brighter mountains and a bit more blur in the water (which might kill the contrast).
07-24-2018, 06:11 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

An old post, nevertheless I will have a go.

In my opinion the green water is fighting all the other colours and components for attention. The green looks artificial to me. Kills the mood of the picture. The sky, as little as there is, needs more drama.
Bottom crop makes sense and also a bit from the right to cut out the incomplete boulder. There is not a lot needed to make this pic just that little bit more appealing.

Fine shot.

Last edited by Schraubstock; 10-27-2018 at 10:49 PM.
03-10-2019, 12:18 PM   #25

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote
An old post, nevertheless I will have a go.

In my opinion the green water is fighting all the other colours and components for attention. The green looks artificial to me. Kills the mood of the picture. The sky, as little as there is, needs more drama.
Bottom crop makes sense and also a bit from the right to cut out the incomplete boulder. There is not a lot needed to make this pic just that little bit more appealing.

Fine shot.
It is a while ago, but I gave it another try. Feel free to let me know what you think!
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 
03-13-2019, 02:06 PM   #26
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I like the first one better actually. I think it captures the gloom of the cwm much better, especially on a cloudy day. It's an incredibly atmospheric place and that low cloud and the darkness of the rock plays a big part in that, hence why I like the first one. It would lend itself to black and white but the blacks would have to be black. The first one combined with the enhancement of the cloudd by Kerrowdown would work well, anything that increases the gloom and foreboding of the place on a cloudy day
03-14-2019, 04:04 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by 3by2 Quote
I like the first one better actually. I think it captures the gloom of the cwm much better, especially on a cloudy day. It's an incredibly atmospheric place and that low cloud and the darkness of the rock plays a big part in that, hence why I like the first one. It would lend itself to black and white but the blacks would have to be black. The first one combined with the enhancement of the cloudd by Kerrowdown would work well, anything that increases the gloom and foreboding of the place on a cloudy day
I like the first one also.
03-21-2019, 09:20 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I think your version is better than mine (mine looks a quite dull compared to yours) but I think it has a maybe too much contrast.
I like the original better than the crop or the higher contrast one. The original is nice the way it is and looks very natural, instead of over processed. The original framing is great, too. The river becomes the subject and it is very beautifully shot. The crop version makes it evenly divided between mountains and river so I can't tell what the actual subject is.

Great job, though.
03-25-2019, 09:44 PM   #29
Pentaxian

I liked the image first time seeing it few months back , however the second Imaged copped just above the bottom two rocks looks better , as far as I see ,that's it its Done , I love the dark tones in it but that's me , we all have our own taste .