Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
08-18-2017, 09:38 AM - 1 Like   #1

Senior Pictures
Lens: Varies Camera: K5iis 

My daughter asked me to take her Senior Pictures, so we went out to various locations around our home on several different occasions. This is one of the those times where you don't know what you don't know. Looking for some feedback on the pics, editing, etc.

I'll be out of contact for a few days, so won't be able to reply for a bit.

Thanks in advance.

Here's the Flickr Album:

Dani Sr Pics | Flickr

08-18-2017, 10:03 AM   #2
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Those are wonderful photos. I'm certain your daughter is thrilled with them!
08-18-2017, 07:16 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thank you Mike!
08-19-2017, 04:20 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I would reconsider the vinette you added to some of the pictures. I don't think they add anything to improve the images. Great shots and poses. Nicely done.

Tim

08-19-2017, 11:30 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Those are excellent photos! Did you use supplemental lighting or reflectors, and if so what devices on which images?
08-19-2017, 06:40 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by atupdate Quote
I would reconsider the vinette you added to some of the pictures. I don't think they add anything to improve the images. Great shots and poses. Nicely done.

Tim
Thanks for the feedback...my daughter was not a fan of them either

---------- Post added 08-19-17 at 07:42 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by tibbitts Quote
Those are excellent photos! Did you use supplemental lighting or reflectors, and if so what devices on which images?
I bought a 5 in 1 reflector (48x24) and used the silver side for all of the images except for at the barn. For it I used the white side as the sun was really strong that day. Had my younger daughter running the reflector and she did a great job.
08-20-2017, 07:03 AM   #7
mee
Veteran Member

All in all they look really good.

Since you are asking for feedback I'll say check your white balance as some make her look a little yellow or pale. Probably want to look at saturation too maybe. Also exposure is all over the place... in some she is so bright she is almost washed out and in others it seems the photo is underexposed and the look is bland.

I like vignettes but must agree yours are a little too heavy handed for my tastes. I find a good vignette is the subtle one that pushes the eye towards the subject without being so obvious.

Hmm and leg positioning in some make her right leg look really small and her left leg look really big.

Having the 'Will Call Customers; Loading only' sign in the back is a little strange to me too when it seems you put so much emphasis on having it in the photographs. Is she waiting to be loaded onto the truck or is she an employee loading trucks? haha otherwise, what is the significance of the sign?

Those are pretty minor though for the most part... I suspect most people won't notice.

08-20-2017, 01:20 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
All in all they look really good.

Since you are asking for feedback I'll say check your white balance as some make her look a little yellow or pale. Probably want to look at saturation too maybe. Also exposure is all over the place... in some she is so bright she is almost washed out and in others it seems the photo is underexposed and the look is bland.

I like vignettes but must agree yours are a little too heavy handed for my tastes. I find a good vignette is the subtle one that pushes the eye towards the subject without being so obvious.

Hmm and leg positioning in some make her right leg look really small and her left leg look really big.

Having the 'Will Call Customers; Loading only' sign in the back is a little strange to me too when it seems you put so much emphasis on having it in the photographs. Is she waiting to be loaded onto the truck or is she an employee loading trucks? haha otherwise, what is the significance of the sign?

Those are pretty minor though for the most part... I suspect most people won't notice.

Thanks for the input. I'll be spending some more time on the editing. I am also getting a ColorMunki to adjust my monitor. I did shoot these in RAW, so I can still make adjustments. Editing is definitely not my strong suit, buy I am trying to learn.

The sign was just part of the old building's loading dock, and we liked it (anything old and rustic).

Thanks for the input regarding the leg positioning.
08-20-2017, 02:26 PM - 1 Like   #9
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 5shot Quote
I am also getting a ColorMunki to adjust my monitor.
I don't post many photos online, as most of them are purely for my own enjoyment. However, for some time the few I did post were (it transpired) too dark, with poor white balance, colour and contrast adjustment - because my monitors were set way too bright and had a very cold / blue colour cast with the default colour profiles. My photos looked fine to me, but not to many members here (who were kind enough to tell me gently ).

Adding a ColorMunki Display to my PC was, and remains, one of the very best things I've done in the last few years. It has transformed reviewing and editing of my own photos, and my enjoyment of others images too. Recently, I even (temporarily) installed the software and used the device on my Windows 10 tablet for a "one off" profiling, to get that as close as possible to my PC. Again, the difference is amazing. I only wish I could do the same for my Android smart-phone (maybe I can... I'll have to look into that!).

I think this is a change you'll be very glad you made

Last edited by BigMackCam; 08-20-2017 at 02:34 PM.