Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
08-25-2017, 11:07 AM - 1 Like   #1

Photos: Gallery
Vidette Peak

I feel like I am missing something in my post processing. I like the photo but I don't feel like the mountain stands out like it should, or maybe it's something else.

08-25-2017, 11:25 AM   #2

Very nice! Looks great.

08-25-2017, 11:38 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Looks good, Maybe you've done a noise reduction that made the field soft and the edges sharp. Hard to tell in this view.

---------- Post added 08-25-17 at 02:41 PM ----------

Looked at the file in full view again. Looks like the foreground is out of focus a little, maybe just a bit tighter on the aperture to increase dof. Not sure. Maybe a lens correction profile is needed.

I do like it.
08-26-2017, 06:53 AM - 3 Likes   #4
Veteran Member

I like the image. Hope you don't mind but I boosted contrast and brought out some detail in the mountain and darkened the scene overall. I might even consider removing the grass in the foreground to the base of the fallen tree stump.

Last edited by slowpez; 11-23-2017 at 12:28 PM.
08-27-2017, 01:55 AM - 1 Like   #5
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by bakerking31 Quote
Vidette Peak
An interesting image to work with, here's my take.

I agree with you that the mountain need to pop a bit more. So I increased overall exposure, whites, shadows and added more contrast and a bit of blacks. Decreased greens and increased blue, orange and yellows a bit. Added grad filters top and bottom to adjust exposure down slightly.

What do you think? it may well be nothing like you saw at the time, but I quite like the way the image looks now.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
 Photo 
08-28-2017, 11:30 AM   #6
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by slowpez Quote
I like the image. Hope you don't mind but I boosted contrast and brought out some detail in the mountain and darkened the scene overall. I might even consider removing the grass in the foreground to the base of the fallen tree stump.
I really like this version; and definitely agree about cropping to the base of the fallen tree stump. This would bring your eye up more towards the mountain!
09-18-2017, 11:48 AM   #7

Composition wise, I would keep the aspect ratio, but crop away the bits of the tree that enter the frame on the left side.
This really distracts me from the otherwise beautiful shot!

Foreground, middle, background, it's all in there.
I'll leave the coloring/sharpening/etc. to the others for now :-)

11-02-2017, 06:04 PM   #8
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I feel like I am missing something in my post processing. I like the photo but I don't feel like the mountain stands out like it should, or maybe it's something else.
G'Day mate,

I think you're on the right track, it's an image with strong elements for your composition, though if I'd taken this image I'd be trying to get closer to the small sapling in the foreground to make use of the wide field of view. That's a subjective preference of course and it's just as likely that if I'd actually been there I'd have captured a very similar composition as you. Like the others here I too feel that some work in post could enhance the strong elements of the scene without being distracted by those elements that don't need highlighting.

I too was cheeky and copied your image to work on it and provide an example, my apologies for not asking first. As this is your image I've removed the original and the processed version from my system.

I did PP in On1 Photo RAW with a focus on getting the white/black points set correctly and drawing out some of the shadows. I noticed that your file had solid blacks in the deadfall (trunk) on the left. That's quite heavy in a scene like this and actually draws the eye a bit. There's plenty of detail missing because of this too, so like the other examples provided this is where lifting of shadows was an improvement.

I mostly worked on the tones to start, I added some structure (micro contrast) and a little sharpening as the image did seem somewhat smooth. There's a lot of detail though and there's plenty that can be drawn out without it becoming 'too crunchy'.

After this I worked on setting the colours by adjusting the saturation and luminance in the colour channels. This allowed me to darken the blue sky and choose the greens/yellows that I wanted to lighten or darken.

The next step was to go back to tone adjustments using a mask so I could target specific elements of the foreground, the treeline and the mountain to both lighten and darken as this will draw the eye, enhance the natural sunlight and provide a more 3D look / depth to the scene. I finished with a vignette that was also masked to ensure the areas lightened / darkened previously were kept accurate and in balance.

Well that was the aim, hopefully this feedback was of assistance.

I also had a look at removing some of the tree from the left to see what that would look like and if it would change how the mountain looks in the scene.

And to finish off I felt that this scene was one of those that stands up to a mono or desaturated look so the below is a B&W rendering of version 2 above with changes made to the tone, colour channels and vignette to draw out the mountain more (this one shows how sloppy I was rushing the PP sorry).

Tas

Last edited by Tas; 11-02-2017 at 06:28 PM.
11-03-2017, 07:30 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tas Quote
Well that was the aim, hopefully this feedback was of assistance
Great job Tas but I fear our OP has completely forgotten his post. I love the B&W rendering.
11-03-2017, 04:44 PM   #10
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by slowpez Quote
Great job Tas but I fear our OP has completely forgotten his post. I love the B&W rendering.
G'Day Susan, thanks for the positive feedback. This is a great image, and even the jpeg responded well in post, so I hope the OP does come back eventually.

Tas
11-03-2017, 07:46 PM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tas Quote
G'Day Susan, thanks for the positive feedback. This is a great image, and even the jpeg responded well in post, so I hope the OP does come back eventually.

Tas
I really love your edits. Especially the black and white. It's a great addition to the photo and I think I will go that route myself after seeing your edit.

Thank you
11-03-2017, 07:48 PM   #12
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I really love your edits. Especially the black and white. It's a great addition to the photo and I think I will go that route myself after seeing your edit.

Thank you
That's cool to hear mate, lots in the image to tweak with some dodging and burning.
11-04-2017, 02:21 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A very interesting and informative post, I like the B & W best but I can't help wondering about whether or not the fallen tree should be removed altogether as it seems to draw the eye away from the mountain and I think there's a bit too much blur around it.
11-04-2017, 08:47 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Great image with lots of PP potential, as others have shown!

Also thanks for the reminder; I was thinking of my 1989 trip recently & could not recall the name of that big meadow. Vidette indeed
11-07-2017, 10:56 PM   #15

Original Poster
I had some time to work on a black and white version, inspired by Tas. I like the way it came out.