Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
09-09-2017, 07:38 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
How did I do?
Lens: Tamron 18-200 Camera: Pentax K70 Photo Location: Old Town Orange, California ISO: 400 Shutter Speed: 1/250s Aperture: F8 

What do you think? I cropped this one a bit and played with exposure. Also I think I adjusted clarity and vibrance just a touch.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-70  Photo 
09-10-2017, 12:11 PM - 1 Like   #2

Great photo! I think I would crop the left side of the picture right up to that metal box in the background. To my eye, it would put the musician better in the left third and emphasize the leading line of the building face.
09-11-2017, 04:32 AM - 2 Likes   #3
Pentaxian

I like the overall processing. I don't like the square crop. The building plaque on the right side is competing with the main subject for attention. In addition, all of the vertical lines in the image suggests a vertical crop. This will help to isolate the subject as well.

Tim
09-11-2017, 09:45 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Off topic, but how did he sound? An interesting bass and some non-classical technique.

09-18-2017, 05:27 AM - 1 Like   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by atupdate Quote
I like the overall processing. I don't like the square crop. The building plaque on the right side is competing with the main subject for attention. In addition, all of the vertical lines in the image suggests a vertical crop. This will help to isolate the subject as well.

Tim
I like your crop. Cutting out the irrelevant background and then the audience can focus on the musician.
09-18-2017, 11:38 AM   #6

I think your overall compostion is good, the right things are in the right part of the frame (considering the classic 1/3 rules).
But there are several things competing for attention though, the plaque on the right and the blue building on the left draw away from the musician.

I would go for a narrower, vertical crop like others suggested (I would also crop away the blue line on the left in the edit by atupdate)

---------- Post added 09-18-2017 at 06:38 PM ----------

I think your overall compostion is good, the right things are in the right part of the frame (considering the classic 1/3 rules).
But there are several things competing for attention though, the plaque on the right and the blue building on the left draw away from the musician.

I would go for a narrower, vertical crop like others suggested (I would also crop away the blue line on the left in the edit by atupdate)
09-18-2017, 06:51 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by atupdate Quote

Tim
Thanks a lot, I agree😊

---------- Post added 09-18-17 at 06:51 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by -JW- Quote

---------- Post added 09-18-2017 at 06:38 PM ----------

Great, thanks for the wise words

---------- Post added 09-18-17 at 06:53 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by troika Quote
Off topic, but how did he sound? An interesting bass and some non-classical technique.
Actually from what I heard he was pretty good. Just shot was actually taken from about 50 yards away so I didn't hear him until I got a lot closer but he was decent at least

09-19-2017, 09:54 AM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

He certainly has a look that needed to be photographed. Too bad it wasn't at night...and foggy.

---------- Post added 09-19-17 at 10:16 AM ----------

He certainly has a look that needed to be photographed. Too bad it wasn't at night...and foggy.
10-04-2017, 02:59 AM - 2 Likes   #9
Forum Member

I really like the original crop. The strongly orthogonal and static nature of the stone wall and plaque on the right compliment the more transitory performer nicely to my eyes. You could try playing with 4 x 3 and 5 x 4 portrait formats if you wanted to get out of the square?