Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-20-2017, 08:03 PM - 1 Like   #1
Pentaxian

Dramatic Lighting - Self Portrait
Lens: Tamron 28-75mm F2.8 Camera: Pentax K1 ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/125s Aperture: F8 

Working with my modest studio lighting setup today and took this self portrait. Used a single monolight off to one side with a reflector opposite for fill. Was going for a dark, moody, dramatic kind of look. I wanted directional light and don't have grids of any kind so I broke out the cardboard and duck tape to create a vertical slit for the light to pass through. Wanted about half to hit me and half to pass by and hit the reflector. After some lack luster testing I went to the closet and dug out the guitar and a hat which seems to have made the image. The camera was on a tripod using the 12 sec timer so I could start it and get myself posed in the photo. I did have a roll of blue seamless paper as a backdrop but succeeded in losing it to shadow. Just a hint of blue remains back there.

Any comments or suggestions for what I can do better or more for this style of image would be appreciated. Remember to be kind - I am the subject here

Last edited by vector; 10-15-2017 at 08:55 PM.
09-20-2017, 08:09 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by vector Quote
Working with my modest studio lighting setup today and took this self portrait. Used a single monolight off to one side with a reflector opposite for fill. Was going for a dark, moody, dramatic kind of look. I wanted directional light and don't have grids of any kind so I broke out the cardboard and duck tape to create a vertical slit for the light to pass through. Wanted about half to hit me and half to pass by and hit the reflector. After some lack luster testing I went to the closet and dug out the guitar and a hat which seems to have made the image. The camera was on a tripod using the 12 sec timer so I could start it and get myself posed in the photo. I did have a roll of blue seamless paper as a backdrop but succeeded in losing it to shadow. Just a hint of blue remains back there.

Any comments or suggestions for what I can do better or more for this style of image would be appreciated. Remember to be kind - I am the subject here
For me, and I am not a portrait/studio photographer by all means, I really like the effect!
I think the guitar brings it all together and the hat ... ?

BTW, your G chord is off a bit !
09-20-2017, 08:15 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
For me, and I am not a portrait/studio photographer by all means, I really like the effect!
I think the guitar brings it all together and the hat ... ?

BTW, your G chord is off a bit !
Thanks! Yeah, I didn't manage to get my fingers on any kind of actual chord there. The rush of setting the camera, getting back in place, seeing the red light flash faster, try to pose and poof, everything fires. Other than finger position on the guitar this was the best one of the day.
09-21-2017, 05:58 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Quick tip- use the built in intervalometer. Have it start taking photos in 10 seconds, then take a photo every 4 or 6 seconds after that. You'll be in less of a rush, and have multiple chances where all you have to do is strike a pose and not worry about triggering the camera.

Good work! Self-portraits are a great genre!

09-21-2017, 08:03 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BrianR Quote
Quick tip- use the built in intervalometer. Have it start taking photos in 10 seconds, then take a photo every 4 or 6 seconds after that. You'll be in less of a rush, and have multiple chances where all you have to do is strike a pose and not worry about triggering the camera.

Good work! Self-portraits are a great genre!
Thanks, yeah I will have to use the intervalometer next time. I have only used it a couple times so I often forget that option is there. This is my first crack at a self portrait, but without any other willing models around I guess I have to make do with what I have available.