Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-23-2008, 11:47 AM   #1

Need your opion please

Which pic do you think is better, the original or the cropped one?

Attached Images

08-23-2008, 12:13 PM   #2
Damn Brit

I prefer the first one, mainly because I think it looks better wider. I also don't think you needed any more detail in the buildings, I think it takes away from the scene. I also like the reflection of the sun.

Maybe the crop would work better for me if the top was cropped as well so that it was the same relative dimensions as the first one but I would still miss the suns reflection.
08-23-2008, 02:57 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks for the input.I like the first one to, but was affraid the brightness on the right distracted the eyes from the rest of the pic.
08-23-2008, 03:06 PM   #4
Damn Brit

I don't think so.

08-23-2008, 03:14 PM   #5
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Try to crop some more from the right so that you remove all light to the right of that house (including the porch on the righthand side). And then crop some from the top. I think this would really make the photo pop.
08-23-2008, 07:10 PM   #6

Original Poster
Ole you mean like this?
Attached Images

08-23-2008, 07:29 PM   #7
Veteran Member

For me, your latest crop reinforce what DamnBrit was alluding to, that is, the image is about the drama in the sky and not on the ground. If fact, I would further emphasize the sky by cropping from below (first shot), about 1/32 of the height.

Yes, the sun is over bright, but I'd take the sky over the foreground. If you shot in raw, you may be able to selectively dampen the bright area.

08-23-2008, 07:51 PM   #8
Ole
Administrator

Yes, I like the tighter crop!
08-25-2008, 05:52 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Here's another way of looking at it, cropping for the houseboat you can pull out more detail without the bright right side, then flop the image ... not better,mind you, just different,
FHPhotographer

Last edited by FHPhotographer; 08-25-2008 at 05:54 PM. Reason: clarification
08-26-2008, 02:33 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I prefer the first one too and like Gary said, I don't think the sun on the top right takes anything away from the picture as the reflections in the middle are stronger and draws your eye where it should be. You may be able to tone down the sun on the right without effecting the over all shot... Still a great shot.. which lens did you use? I'd probably spend way too much time in PP and screw up the whole thing... Nice image... JIMBO
08-28-2008, 08:22 AM   #11
graphicgr8s

I also like the first one. I think it needs that darker bottom to anchor it. jmho
08-28-2008, 10:34 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

i vote for the first shot too, partly because i like the way it points to the reflection off the right house and interplays with the whole photo.. beautiful photo, and I like it the other ways too...
08-30-2008, 12:38 PM   #13

Original Poster
First I would like to thank you all for the great input it really helped.
Second in response to Jimbo, the lens I was using was a tamron 28-300.
As for messing up the shot I was just lucky,I was out trying to get a shot of the rising full moon and decided to change location when I came upon the that scene.I set the camera to auto and started shooting.It took some editing to get the pic close to what I saw but the sky was more red than shows up in the pic.
08-30-2008, 12:41 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Still a great shot and thanks for sharing the lens information. I have pre-ordered the Sigma 70-200 2.8 Micro which is suppost to be in sometime in September.. Cheers and keeps those geat shots coming JIMBO
09-04-2008, 04:02 PM   #15
axl
Veteran Member

easy choice, first one...