Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 11 Likes Search this Thread
09-29-2017, 04:39 AM - 2 Likes   #1
Forum Member

To dull??
Lens: Tamron 18-200 Camera: K3 Photo Location: Montague Place, Worthing ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/350s Aperture: F8 

I took this photo of a building reflected in the bell of a tuba at a street concert.

I cropped it in Faststone (to 16:9 ratio) & increased the brightness & saturation a bit, but I think it looks a bit dull. What do you think? How can I improve it?

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
09-29-2017, 09:19 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Very nice!

Honestly, the only change that would make it better is to retake the image when the sun is on the building (so the building does not look gray and dingy against the sky).
09-29-2017, 11:04 AM - 1 Like   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
Very nice!

Honestly, the only change that would make it better is to retake the image when the sun is on the building (so the building does not look gray and dingy against the sky).
Thank you - very kind.

If I can find a spare tuba player I might just do that :-)
10-01-2017, 02:39 PM - 1 Like   #4

Photos: Gallery
A lttle post proccess tweaking in Lightroom can really sharpen and brighten this shot up (see attached) - tweaked this just from your poted file, you could get much more from it working from the RAW file if you oriinally shot in RAW format.

Attached Images

10-01-2017, 02:57 PM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think Fizzio has slightly overdone the tweaking...I am seeing noise in the image, but about half of what he has applied should be about right. I concurr on shooting in RAW too.

By the way Robin CB, I think this qualifies for one of my top pictures of the year.

ps. Is that sign on the building "altered image" ?
10-02-2017, 12:13 AM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by fizzio Quote
A lttle post proccess tweaking in Lightroom can really sharpen and brighten this shot up (see attached) - tweaked this just from your poted file, you could get much more from it working from the RAW file if you oriinally shot in RAW format.
Thanks fizzio. That's the sort of "pop" I was trying to achieve. I shot in jpg and don't have Lightroom, but will have a play in gimp and see what I can achieve.
10-02-2017, 12:40 AM - 1 Like   #7
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Robin CB Quote
Thanks fizzio. That's the sort of "pop" I was trying to achieve. I shot in jpg and don't have Lightroom, but will have a play in gimp and see what I can achieve.
I like starting with the "Curves" (or "Levels") adjustment under the Colors menu to increase contrast.

Pulling in the black point (the left-most point on the line/curve) will make the darkest bits darker (just be careful not to clip the blacks too much). And making the curve slightly S shaped will generally increase contrast. If the histogram doesn't quite touch the right edge you can pull in the white point, too, but again, be careful not to clip the whites too much (e.g. you don't want the sky to go completely white).

Also try to avoid over-sharpening. You will notice that dark lines/areas quickly will get a "halo" when you pull the sliders too far.

10-02-2017, 02:16 AM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
I think Fizzio has slightly overdone the tweaking...I am seeing noise in the image, but about half of what he has applied should be about right. I concurr on shooting in RAW too.

By the way Robin CB, I think this qualifies for one of my top pictures of the year.

ps. Is that sign on the building "altered image" ?
Thanks Peter - you are very kind. Yes - serendipity provided just the right shop name.

I need to look at RAW - in the Pentax utility if not Lightroom. At the moment I just shoot jpg (still early days as a "serious" snapper).

---------- Post added 10-02-17 at 02:20 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
I like starting with the "Curves" (or "Levels") adjustment under the Colors menu to increase contrast.

Pulling in the black point (the left-most point on the line/curve) will make the darkest bits darker (just be careful not to clip the blacks too much). And making the curve slightly S shaped will generally increase contrast. If the histogram doesn't quite touch the right edge you can pull in the white point, too, but again, be careful not to clip the whites too much (e.g. you don't want the sky to go completely white).

Also try to avoid over-sharpening. You will notice that dark lines/areas quickly will get a "halo" when you pull the sliders too far.
Many thanks Savoche. Really helpful. Will give all that a try.
10-02-2017, 01:44 PM - 1 Like   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
How does this look?

a) have I improved the image & b) have I avoided oversharpening? Also - is it too dark now?

Thanks for your thoughts

10-02-2017, 02:52 PM - 1 Like   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by Robin CB Quote
How does this look?

a) have I improved the image & b) have I avoided oversharpening? Also - is it too dark now?

Thanks for your thoughts

Looking pretty good now Robin CB, you could always brighten it up a touch with the brightness setting or by taking the contrast down a touch if you feel it needs it
10-02-2017, 04:14 PM - 1 Like   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Perfecto !!
10-02-2017, 06:22 PM - 1 Like   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Its a really creative shot, I like it a lot! The above PP already brings it to life a little more. I would actually crop a bit more, so there is less of the empty space around the rim of the instrument. That way the subject, the building, would take more of the frame and get more attention

But its a great shot to begin with!
10-03-2017, 09:42 AM   #13
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by fizzio Quote
Looking pretty good now Robin CB, you could always brighten it up a touch with the brightness setting or by taking the contrast down a touch if you feel it needs it
Thanks fizzio - will have a play, but know where I am going now :-)

---------- Post added 10-03-17 at 09:42 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
Perfecto !!
Thanks Peter - really appreciate your help :-)

---------- Post added 10-03-17 at 09:47 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Its a really creative shot, I like it a lot! The above PP already brings it to life a little more. I would actually crop a bit more, so there is less of the empty space around the rim of the instrument. That way the subject, the building, would take more of the frame and get more attention

But its a great shot to begin with!
Thanks Na Horuk. I have played around with the crop a fair bit, but I quite like the vignetting effect of the red brick. I do see what you mean though, so I will re-visit that and play some more.