Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-16-2017, 06:50 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Bright Eyed Red Deer Pair
Lens: SMC DA 55-300 @170mm Camera: K-50 Photo Location: Newport, Maine ISO: 400 Shutter Speed: 1/200s Aperture: F8 

I cropped this shot to try to emphasize the deer's heads and expressions, the only other post processing changes I made was the lens profile correction.
The deer are in a runway between grazing areas so the uncropped original had a lot of irregular lines from fences and such in it. I will post a shot taken a few minutes earlier with my DA 35 in the second position. Also light PP for lens and small crop.

I would love suggestions and reasons how and why they could make the editing easier/better and any ways to improve the shot itself. Thanks in advance.

The deer are finally used to me (for now at least,) and I would like to take good shots for the Friend who has them.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo 
11-15-2017, 07:57 AM   #2
K-9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Cropping in the first photo seems to show a degradation in sharpness. You could try sharpening it in post processing. The 2nd one is underexposed and the horizon a bit tilted. Lighting isn't the best to emphasize the fur, and on the cold side. I would suggest shooting in the morning or late afternoon on sunny days, where the sun isn't overhead, and that should give nice warm, natural lighting on the deer.
11-15-2017, 08:20 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by K-9 Quote
Cropping in the first photo seems to show a degradation in sharpness. You could try sharpening it in post processing. The 2nd one is underexposed and the horizon a bit tilted. Lighting isn't the best to emphasize the fur, and on the cold side. I would suggest shooting in the morning or late afternoon on sunny days, where the sun isn't overhead, and that should give nice warm, natural lighting on the deer.

They are very much wild animals, even living in a fenced in area and they don't know me. This makes finding a time when the light is perfect a bit problematic since this is after 9 days of them seeing me daily. They are very, very leery of unknown people and things. That they let me get within 20 meters of them shows that they were somewhat used to me, and the "Big eye" of the lens made them freak the first few times I tried to shoot them.
I am not expert at PP so often for posts here that will be reduced in size and sharpness, I will just post cropped SOOC. I am experimenting with different tools since I will not pay a subscription for LR and am not a fan of Adobe products.

I figure that when the snow flies harder here I will try to go through my photo files and practice with the techniques like sharpening. Also in bringing up contrast and fixing exposure. I believe I did here as it was a very gray fall day when I took this one. And I think that there may have been better choices for editing on that day. I will look out for the things you mentioned. Thank you .

I am aware that one of my tendencies is to lean waaaaay too much to one side or the other when shooting. I must be slightly unbalanced.

Thanks for the comments and suggestions, I am a complete newby and this is where I come to learn better techniques.
2 Days Ago - 1 Like   #4
K-9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
There's always a chance sharpness is compromised by you "leaning" or movement during the time you press the shutter. Try to use a faster shutter speed, if possible, or increase your ISO. The first photo you took was at 1/200 of a second, which is close to the focal length, and 1/500 or faster could have made the difference. Sharpening "in camera" will be better than fixing it later.