Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-06-2017, 10:29 AM - 1 Like   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Top 10?
Camera: Pentax K-5 

I'm looking for the top 10 best of these photos. Fill free to list 10, or just a few, or any one you really don't think works. The idea behind the photos is brief moments of bliss (first morning coffee, light through the trees and morning dew in a backyard, a color-coordinated house and car, standing inside the circle at Stonehenge, etc.). Thanks for your thoughts!

Last edited by sealonsf; 12-06-2017 at 10:35 AM. Reason: Fixed spaces between photos and added a photo.
12-06-2017, 02:10 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

All of the shots are nice, however...

4 & 12 are my favourites, followed by 8 & 11. I like 13 too

15 & 16 are different compositions of the same subject... personally, I prefer 15 (so 16 could go)...

I think 9 doesn't quite work in the square format.

3 is more of a "day out snap" (recording an event), so - for me - that one probably wouldn't make the list.

Not sure if any of that helps?!
12-06-2017, 02:28 PM   #3

1st one is the best because it does not stand out as photo opportunity but looks great..
1, 2, 4,5,10
12-06-2017, 04:17 PM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
All of the shots are nice, however...

4 & 12 are my favourites, followed by 8 & 11. I like 13 too

15 & 16 are different compositions of the same subject... personally, I prefer 15 (so 16 could go)...

I think 9 doesn't quite work in the square format.

3 is more of a "day out snap" (recording an event), so - for me - that one probably wouldn't make the list.

Not sure if any of that helps?!
Yes, this does help. Thank you!

---------- Post added 12-06-2017 at 03:18 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxfall Quote
1st one is the best because it does not stand out as photo opportunity but looks great..
1, 2, 4,5,10
Thanks!

12-06-2017, 04:32 PM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
It is definitely 12 for me.
I am just thinking out loud. It would be interesting if the canoeing guy is in the middle of the sunray / reflection.
12-07-2017, 04:35 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This is reflecting my own personal biases looking at subject matter first then composition second. In order of preference.

12-07-2017, 05:45 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bruce Clark Quote
This is reflecting my own personal biases looking at subject matter first then composition second. In order of preference.

Thank you!
12-07-2017, 10:17 PM   #8
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Great idea and a diverse and interesting set.

1, 8, 12, 13 and 14 are the individual standouts for me. (Not because I like coffee and beer and sunsets etc but as striking images.)

I like 3 & 9 but each suffers from the crop.

Of the three Stonehenge images, I prefer 16. But I think these shots fit the theme the least.

Nothing wrong with the cat image but it doesn't say bliss to me.

I wonder whether you could re-crop #5 to get the pots just a little to the right?

My ten would be: 1, 2, 4, 5, 7, 8, 11, 12, 13, 14.

12-08-2017, 11:30 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
Great idea and a diverse and interesting set.

1, 8, 12, 13 and 14 are the individual standouts for me. (Not because I like coffee and beer and sunsets etc but as striking images.)

Of the three Stonehenge images, I prefer 16. But I think these shots fit the theme the least.

Nothing wrong with the cat image but it doesn't say bliss to me.

I wonder whether you could re-crop #5 to get the pots just a little to the right?

My ten would be: 1, 2, 4, 5, 7, 8, 11, 12, 13, 14.
Thank you and I see what you mean about the crop on #5. I can't do anything about the crop on the car photo but I agree that it doesn't work so well. At the time I took it, I wasn't thinking about the square crop. Only had the one shot - too bad I wasn't standing further back.
12-08-2017, 02:18 PM   #10
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
Oops, I meant to say 7 and 9. (Sorry about that.) The flower with the water droplets is a lovely image, but would be better if the flower were not cut off. Even so, I still included it in my ten selections.

QuoteOriginally posted by sealonsf Quote
I can't do anything about the crop on the car photo but I agree that it doesn't work so well. At the time I took it, I wasn't thinking about the square crop. Only had the one shot - too bad I wasn't standing further back.
You did well to see the shot. I don't know what the percentages are, but I'd say every photographer has a collection of near misses from what would have been outstanding. That's how it goes.
12-08-2017, 03:32 PM   #11
Pentaxian

"Bliss" can be a tough subject to convey because it's so subjective. 1, 8, 12, 11 are my favorites.

#1: I like the lighting in this. I'll hazard a guess that you boosted "clarity" or did similar processing; if so it works well for this scene.

#4: Has potential but too dark because so much of the photo is shadowed leaves. I would try cropping tighter; cut off more of the left trees and bottom of the frame, so the sky is more centered and occupies more of the frame. Just leave a little bit of the road visible.

#8: This is a good example of subjectivity. Some viewers will say "mmm, beer". Me, I see a light beer, probably an IPA considering current trends, and my least favorite type of beer. Show a stout and it's much more blissful to me

#9: I get that you used a square crop for consistency, but it's chopping off part of the car. Either show a little or all of the car.

#11: Good. This caught my eye because of the contrasts, just a dark area and very bright areas, few midtones.

#12: A nice photo, almost abstract with the textures.

The 3 Stonehenge photos don't belong, IMO. The people are distracting and says crowded tourist site rather than peaceful bliss. The closeups are showing harsh rocks. You weren't lucky enough to have an interesting sky when you visited.
12-09-2017, 01:35 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
"Bliss" can be a tough subject to convey because it's so subjective. 1, 8, 12, 11 are my favorites.

#1: I like the lighting in this. I'll hazard a guess that you boosted "clarity" or did similar processing; if so it works well for this scene.

#4: Has potential but too dark because so much of the photo is shadowed leaves. I would try cropping tighter; cut off more of the left trees and bottom of the frame, so the sky is more centered and occupies more of the frame. Just leave a little bit of the road visible.

#8: This is a good example of subjectivity. Some viewers will say "mmm, beer". Me, I see a light beer, probably an IPA considering current trends, and my least favorite type of beer. Show a stout and it's much more blissful to me

#9: I get that you used a square crop for consistency, but it's chopping off part of the car. Either show a little or all of the car.

#11: Good. This caught my eye because of the contrasts, just a dark area and very bright areas, few midtones.

#12: A nice photo, almost abstract with the textures.

The 3 Stonehenge photos don't belong, IMO. The people are distracting and says crowded tourist site rather than peaceful bliss. The closeups are showing harsh rocks. You weren't lucky enough to have an interesting sky when you visited.
Thank you for your good points. By the way, regarding the beer, it's not a beer - they are both ciders. :-)